We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amtrak Trip to Glacier Ideas

Minnesota
Level Contributor
366 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Amtrak Trip to Glacier Ideas

We are planning a train trip to Glacier next summer on a very tight time frame. We are from MN, but have a football game to attend in Minot, so we would like to keep going the next day and visit Glacier, but we will only have 3 full days at Glacier : (

Right now, the itinerary looks like this:

Friday: Amtrak arrives at West Glacier - first night at Lake McDonald Lodge

Saturday: shuttle GTTS road and end up at Many Glaciers for 2 nights

Monday: late afternoon shuttle to Glacier Lodge in East Glacier

Tuesday: depart on am train going east

I'm not certain there's a shuttle to Many Glaciers, nor am I certain there's a shuttle to East Glacier. Any ideas? We don't really want to rent a car. We would probably take the red bus trip to Canada one day, as well. I've read that the GTTS road is best going from east to west, and we could reverse the trip, as well. Suggestions? We're not great hikers, but could do some hiking.

Thanks!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amtrak Trip to Glacier Ideas

From the info I can find on the parks page it seems the shuttle operates only within the park. There have been other discussions here about the train and it seems most people end up renting a car. The hotels (Lake McDonald and Glacier Park) may offer pickup services but I don't think the park shuttle will take you from the train station into Lake McDonald Lodge or from Many to Glacier Park Lodge. The park page also states there is no room for luggage on their shuttles. Hopefully one of the earlier posters that was arriving by train will post their experience.

The shuttle or Red Bus is a good way to see the park once you get to your hotel. With only one full day in Many Glacier, I don't think I would venture to Waterton. There is a lot to see and do in the Many Glacier area and if you go to Waterton you will only have your day of arrival (late after seeing the GTTSR) and your day of departure to Glacier Park Lodge. There are a lot of trails in Many Glacier from easy to more difficult. I think you will find plenty to do. I hope this helps and that you hear from someone that has actually arrived by train.

2. Re: Amtrak Trip to Glacier Ideas

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2010, 05:18