We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

early morning drive

NJ
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Topic
early morning drive

We will be in Glacier NP in the second week of August. Just curious, if we begin our drive early morning

(around 7:00 / 7:30 am) from the Swiftcurrent Cabins heading onto the main road, what wildlife are we likely to find in and around that area at that time of the morning. I realize that we must drive carefully as this will probably be low traffic time, but high wildlife activity time! Also, same time of morning, what are we likely to see in the Lake McDonald area?

Thanks for any and all info!

(I am also posting this for Yellowstone and Grand Teton as we will be there too)

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,045 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: early morning drive

Difficult to say. However this section of road does see a lot of animals, especially bears. Just drive slow and keep your eyes open.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: early morning drive

It really involves a bit of luck but last September I was driving from Rising Sun to St. Mary to meet some hiking partners about 7AM (this is just at sunrise in September) and within those 5 miles I saw a black bear cross the GTTS, a coyote, and several deer.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: early morning drive

It gets light pretty early in the summertime, so the sun will have been up for an hour or two by the time you hit the road. Seeing wildlife is the luck of the draw.

NJ
Level Contributor
360 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: early morning drive

Thanks all!

chicago
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: early morning drive

My experience indicates that the east side is superior for morning wildlife drives. The thick forest of the west side makes spotting animals more difficult. You might see black bear, deer, red fox and eagles/osprey.

6. Re: early morning drive

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 November 2010, 05:16