We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian rockies in early June

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Canadian rockies in early June

We are visiting glacier national park, banff, & japser in early - mid part of June. I would like to know if we should advance book for the Columbia Icefield tour & boat rides in Lake McDonald, Many glacier lake, Minnewanka lake, Maligne lake & Pyramid lakes? We are traveling with an infant so we would like to have some flexibility. Can we manage to walk in and get tickets for the above activities?

Also, we are driving around Bow lake, Lake Louise, Vermillion lake, Hector lake etc but not sure if taking a boat ride is necessary. Please advise as to which ones are a 'must do' ones. Thanks!!

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

Early to mid-June in Glacier NP is not crowded, since the Going To The Sun Road will not be open. You can easily make plans on a day-by-day basis, which is most wise when traveling with an infant. Also because June is the rainiest month of the year here in this part of MT. Bring raingear and layers to dress in, bring an attitude of having fun and enjoying your trip no matter what the weather brings, and you'll be fine.

Check in with the Canada forums for other advice. CampingGirl is an excellent Destination Expert for that area....check her posts.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

It looks to me as though you are planning to visit Glacier National Park, Canada - in British columbia, rather than GNP, Montana, in the USA. The forum you have posted in is for the GNP Montana area. This is a confusing issue for folks all the time, so don't worry, you're not the first to mistake the 2 parks.

I recommend that you re- post this question in the Alberta, Canada forum. You will get a lot more help there from the local experts, since this the actual area you are planning to visit.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

We are visiting GNP in Montana & driving up to Banff & Jasper.

Texas, USA
Level Contributor
56 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

Thank you. The GTSR is partially open (abt 30 miles). The section between Avalanche & Jackson Glacier overlook are closed. Are we still gonna miss a lot of scenary? I hope more of the road will be accessible by the 1st week of June.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,947 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

The road may be open a little farther by then, but will not open completely till June 18.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

>>>I would like to know if we should advance book for the Columbia Icefield tour & ...... Minnewanka lake, Maligne lake & Pyramid lakes?<<<

I still suggest that you post your question in the Alberta forum, for answers to your questions about Banff & Jasper parks!

7. Re: Canadian rockies in early June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 November 2010, 05:16
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park