We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Photo Views/Ops

Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Photo Views/Ops

Hello, is light in early morning/late afternoon the best at Glacier, also, for photographing scenery? Are there certain viewpoints to take great photos? I'm an amateur (obviously) and most of my hiking will be between 10 am and 3 pm...so from the GTTS road are there special places for good photos then? We are staying at Many Glacier 2 nites, Rising Sun 1 nite, East Glacier 2 nites, and also in Whitefish 2 nites. How about sunsets? Hoping Logan Pass will be open! We arrive June 22. Thank you in advance for your advice.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Photo Views/Ops

From Rising Sun, drive up to Wild Goose Island overlook in the early morning. I also like morning at Many Glacier, evening at Lake McDonald. Any of the trails will offer good photo opportunities, but depending on which trail and time of day, the light may not be the best, but you will still have good pictures and memories! Of course, I'm far from a professional myself, so there may be someone that can give you better advice.

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Photo Views/Ops

Hidden Lake overlook at sunset is awesome, and no one is around. But you'll want mosquito repellent.

flickr.com/photos/…

Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Photo Views/Ops

thank you for the photo advice, and again thanks for the hiking advice earlier!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Photo Views/Ops

ditto previous posts. Wild Goose Island, at the beginning of sunrise so you have to get up very early. MG also good as noted. Sunsets are classically poor in Glacier, but the Hidden Lake/Logan Pass concet is better than Lake McD. I believe.

10-3 is not great photo time for landscapes, but trail work with animals and flowers and water could produce great opportunities.

Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Photo Views/Ops

How early IS sunrise, say above Wild Goose Island? Must get motivated!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,988 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Photo Views/Ops

They can tell you when you arrive but seems like I used to get up at 4:30 or so to catch first light.

Elkins, West...
Level Contributor
359 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Photo Views/Ops

According to Weather.com, sunrise right now is 5:30, meaning light will be in the sky by about 4:30.

Twin Cities, MN
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Photo Views/Ops

I was thinking of myself as an early morning person, but I'm rethinking that now! Hopefully the light will still be nice at 7 am. Thank you everyone!

9. Re: Photo Views/Ops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 December 2010, 05:17