We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

Obviously there's no way to know what the weather will be in early July and I'll be checking the forecast before I come and with the rangers while I'm there, but in general, what do you recommended wearing/bringing for a typical 5-10 mile hike?

My plan would be a synthetic short-sleeve base layer covered by either a fleece zip-up sweater or a windbreaker depending on anticipated conditions, synthetic hiking pants, hiking socks and shoes. Most of my clothes are REI, with some Columbia and North Face, Smartwool socks, and Keen Targhee II mid hiking boots with ankle support. Does this sound reasonable?

I have a 30L REI backpack, which will have water (is 2L enough or is more recommended?), snacks, first-aid kit, and rain coat. Anything else you'd recommend? Thanks for all the advice and tips!

New York City
Level Contributor
214 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

Forgot to mention that I also plan on bringing hiking poles, esp. since I have a bad knee.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,551 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

What you listed is excellent; generally what I bring...but a few more things need to be added......

1. Camera (though I'm sure that you're planning on brining this)....

2. Binoculars...if you want to wildlife spot, etc.....

3. Toilet Paper...you wouldn't want to be caught without it if your body decides it wants to mess with you....

4.. Bear Spray...a must for me!!!!!

Edited: 24 June 2010, 22:30
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,115 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

well covered with the suggested additions

Bemidji, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
2,654 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

I wouldn't want to go on a hike without a lightweight rainsuit. Even a 5 minute shower can drench you and hypothermia can be deadly up on a mountain.

USA
Level Contributor
595 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

TravelingFamily mentioned a raincoat. For a 10 mile round trip on an established trail, that would be at most 5 miles or a couple hours in the rain before reaching shelter. Personally, I have a full length plastic poncho I always keep in my pack that will cover my backpack and hang over my boots.

And for me, 1L of water is usually enough for that length trip on an average Rocky Mountain day, so 2L should be plenty. More elevation gain, heat combined with low humidity will increase drinking. Starting the trip well hydrated will also decrease water requirements.

6. Re: Recommended clothing/gear for day hikes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 December 2010, 05:17