We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

Winchester VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

My wife and I have an opportunity to be at this location in early Sept 11. We would like to take in Glacier National Park? Is this an iffy time of the year with the possibility of snow in Glacier National Park? Also, we would like to go on to Yellowstone at the same time. Is this a good time of the year to be there, or would you pick another time? Your comment will be appreciated.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

Glacier is a great choice in early to mid-September.

The crowds go down after Labor Day, the bugs are gone, the temperatures are great for hiking, and the trails are as clear of snow as they will be all year....the leaves also start turning somewhere around the 15th of September....

I was there 9/7 - 9/16, 2008 and 9/4 - 9/21, 2009 (I'll also be there 9/4 - 9/26, 2010). My detailed trip reports are attached in the trip report thread pasted at the top of the Forum. I detail the weather every day of those trips.....

Highs are generally upper 50's to mid 70's. Lows at night are 30 to 45 degrees.I had snow one day on each of the trips.

However, things are starting to close down....the GTTS road is only open (the entire length) until 9/20 (then it is closed from the West side and accessible from the East. All the Park hotels and restaurants are closed by the 26th. You should get accomodations ASAP if you are interested.....

I'd do Glacier first then Yellowstone as that Park has a bit longer season into the Fall (but you might see snow there as well)....

Edited: 05 July 2010, 18:40
Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,108 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

I would do Glacier first as the previous post stated then Yellowstone but I would plan my trip at the very beginning of Sept. The later you wait in both parks then a lot of the lodging, services, etc. begin to shut down especially after labor day in Yellowstone NP. We are coming the end of August before labor day and visiting Glacier NP and going back to YNP. It will be our first trip to Glacier but our third trip in four years to YNP and GTNP.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

On your YNP post I inquired as to how much time you have for this trip. Now I see you want to include both parks. Know that it's a day trip between them, time lost from one or the other. If you had, for example, 7 days, I'd split it 2 for GNP, 1 for the drive south, the balance in YNP. And, if you really had the time, I'd drop down from YNP to Grand Teton NP.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

I prefer Glacier to Yellowstone......but I would divide my time based on your interests....if you are a hiker, I would spend more time at Glacier...if you want to enjoy mainly from the car, then I would spend more time at Yellowstone....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,108 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

Also are you coming around Sept 11 2010 or early Sept 2011? If this year better get busy on lodging ASAP. Enjoy your trip planning.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,008 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

"I prefer Glacier to Yellowstone......but I would divide my time based on your interests....if you are a hiker, I would spend more time at Glacier...if you want to enjoy mainly from the car, then I would spend more time at Yellowstone...."

Good points. But the parks are totally different. I agree, if a hiker, GNP hands down. I've hiked there and would say, incredible. I disagree about YNP being a mainly from the car experience. There are many times you'll be out of your car walking in the thermal areas or observing wildlife many places but especially in the valleys. YNP is huge with a lengthy road system which necessitates being in the car - but not all the time. And what you'll see from your car will fascinate you.

I was (again) at YNP a few weeks ago; we leave for GNP (again) in a week. So, I am (relatively) unbiased.

Edited: 05 July 2010, 20:22
Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

As CeCe stated, you'd better get busy with reservations if coming this year!! There's a convention in E. Glacier that week, and I could find nothing in that area, finally settling on W Glacier. Gave up on National Park Lodgings after an hour on hold twice, and then being told "if you can't wait, find lodging elsewhere." I couldn't believe the parks have a reservation system that bad.

Winchester VA
Level Contributor
38 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

We will be going to Glacier 09/2011.

9. Re: Glacier National Park early September-Weather?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2011, 05:17