We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

We are planning a trip to Glacier on motorcyles August 2011. We will be coming from the East, probably on Hwy 2. We are looking for places to stay once we get there. Do you recommend inside the park, or are there good places close by outside the park? Should we stay part of our trip on the East and part on the West, or is it driveable to stay at one place the entire trip?

We went to Yellowstone in 2009 and stayed inside the park the entire time we were there. While we loved it, we spent a lot of time driving the same roads each day in the park, just to get to the roads needed to go where we were planning that day, plus the food choices were very limited.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

There are a lot of bikes in the park anymore, it is a great way to see Glacier. I think you will hear most of us say, stay east for the most part and stay in the park also. That said, book ASAP as lodging will be tighter next year due to work on one of the major hotels.

Are you more for seeing and riding, or hiking?? This effects recommendations for areas to stay. Food is ample around the park, so no problems there.

Let us know preferences and we will drill down more for recommendations.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,091 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Agree with K2. Stay in park if possible, concentrating on the east side, especially the Many Glacier area. This is a great area if you are interested in hiking. I always suggest at least one night on the west to start or finish you trip. I think that way you can take your time driving across the park . As stated, a lot depends on your interests while visiting.

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

I think we will be doing more seeing and riding, and very little hiking. Thanks for the tip on booking ASAP, there are 4 couples for sure going...possibly 1 or 2 more. With a room shortage next year, we better get this trip decided on and booked soon. Thanks so much for the information, and appreciate any other info you may have.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

If your not planning on doing much hiking spend more time outside the park on the west side. Lots of places to stay. Ride down along Flathead Lake, etc.

It takes about 3hrs to drive GTTSR, more if you stop and enjoy it... took me 6 a couple months ago... and that's without stopping at Logans Pass.

Edited: 12 October 2010, 08:30
Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

wabderer05: Thanks for the info. We'll be there a few days and will be riding every day weather permitting, so it sounds like we'll have no problem seeing what we want to.

Do you have any idea how Glacier compares to Yellowstone in size? We spent 4 days there in 2009 and we were able to see everything we wanted in that time.

Thanks!!

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Glacier is less than half the size of Yellowstone. Without some hiking there is no way Glacier would take as long to cover as Yellowstone. You've got GTTSR which is 50 odd miles, the Many Glacier area, that entrance road is 12 miles. Two Medicine, Cut Bank, the Polebridge area, Chief Mountain... most of it is actually backcountry. So is Yellowstone, but that Figure 8 plus road system takes a while to cover as it covers a fairly large area.

This summer I spent three nights in each with the better part of four days, and didn't come close to doing all of either park. I do hike though.

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Thanks so much for the info. I'm printing this to help plan our trip when our group gets together soon. I'm really excited about this trip, and I appreciate your help.

Sartell, Minnesota
Level Contributor
1,412 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

P.S. wanderer05: I just noticed I spelled your name wrong in my first reply to you....SORRY!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,681 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Definitely take a day to ride along Flathead Lake. The highway along the east side of the lake - from Bigfork to Polson - is a better riding road than the highway long the west side, IMO. There's a great little pub just south of Bigfork called The Raven that serves great food and locally brewed beers. The patios have outstanding views of the lake too.

The highway that comes north from Missoula to Bigfork via Swan Lake (hwy 83) is also a really nice ride.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,259 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 2011 Trip on Motorcycles - Lodging Questions

Just one caution with 83 is the amount of deer on that route... though all routes in the area have some. Agreed I always recommend the east side of Flathead Lake... though one could make a loop of it out to the Bison Range and back to West Glacier (or wherever nearby).