We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier NP - May or August

UK
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier NP - May or August

I'm planning a trip to Glacier NP next year. I love hiking but hate crowds & car queues. I can only go in either May or August so here's my problem: do I go in May when the high road is closed or in August when the road will be open but busy?

Thanks!

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

Given that choice, I think August is the right option.....despite the crowds....

In May, the vast majority of good/scenic hiking trails will be closed by snow, the weather could be really brutal, lodging options (including campgrounds) are very limited and GTTS Road will be closed.

Even in August, if you start early on more popular hikes or go for more obscure hikes, you can avoid the people.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

August for sure, Glacier is pretty much still experiencing winter in May.

The road will be busy, but once you get a bit away from the popular areas and trails you will find enough solitude. Starting earlier helps as well... just not too early as that is "animal time".

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

Agree with the other posts. Maybe try for late August as some schools are back in session and that may cut down a little on crowds. It's not too early to try for lodging as soon as you figure out your dates.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,372 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

Same as the rest, august. However, if you are on the trails before 9 am, you will hardly have any traffic on the roads or trails. Glacier tourists are late risers.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,825 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

definately august, if you love hiking. May will still have some of the high country snowed in, the road could be iffy too. I did the canadian rockies in august - risking crowds a couple of years ago (i wanted to be in the rockies for teh perseids meteor shower- august 13th every year) the prices were a little higher and lodging was pretty full - but not sold out- but that was really the worst of it. i had plenty of me time on the trails!

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

August.... (chiming in to unanimous vote).

Go as late as you can, since some schools open in mid August so the crowds lessen.

In Yellowstone, there is a saying: Want to get away from all the crowds? Walk 5 minutes down any trail and you will have the place to yourself. It seems like that is somewhat less true in Glacier, but still the vast majority will be only going on the shortest of hikes plus driving the highway and hitting the scenic overlooks.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,689 posts
454 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

Simple, August, for all the great reasons already posted.

8. Re: Glacier NP - May or August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2011, 06:16