We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

Level Contributor
44 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

My Husband and I are travelling to the US in Oct 2011. At the moment we cant decide whether to visit Glacier National Park Or Yellowstone National Park. We are planning a 3 night stay from the 22nd Oct to the 25 October.

We are an active couple who likes to do day hikes and anything outdoorsy. I would love to be able to see a bear out in the wild (all be it not up close and personal!) or any wildlife for that matter.

We visited Yosemite in Oct 2009 and loved the half day and day hikes around there adn jsut generally taking it all in.

We are planning on having a car whilst in the National Park.

Which would be best to visit??

Any info would be greatly apprecaited.

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
31,900 posts
445 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

Likely to encounter winter conditions and GTTSR is scheduled to be open usually until mid-Sept. Road construction is continuing for the next 8-10 years on the GTTSR.

Check out Glacier n NP website-

Helena, Montana
Level Contributor
23 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

It all depends on how early winter arrives.

You will have more options in Yellowstone. There are more roads that stay open all winter. October is a beautiful time to visit Yellowstone.

Of course there is always a chance that it will be covered in snow!

Level Contributor
627 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

I would say snow is virtually guaranteed that late in October. Most all Park lodging will be closed down, but you can find it un West Yellowstone or Gardiner. Early October, though, can be glorious (or not).

Level Contributor
12,999 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

I absolutely love Glacier National Park. You can visit the neat towns of Whitefish and Kalispell on the W side and all the great park lodges and the neat town of Missoula. I enjoyed Yellowstone but I included it with a trip to Jackson, WY so that increased the fun on that trip. I would not hesitate to visit GNP again and again.

Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,219 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

The road across GNP will be closed. It usually stays open to Logan Pass from one side, till closed by snow, usually sometime in Oct. All in park lodges will be closed. I would think Yellowstone would be the better choice.

Level Contributor
1,698 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

glacier is my favorite but october i'd say you may have more options in yellowstone. I know that i lucked out the one year in glacier in the first week of october but there was a lot of rain/snow going on where i wanted to hike. i've been in yellowstone in mid sept. excellent! If the weather stops you from serious hiking, yellowstone has more to do, geyser gazing etc..... plenty of wildlife but i have no idea what the roads will be like. Glacier going to the sun road will likely not be open end to end......

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
62 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

We had snow in GNP last fall around Sep 14. We were in Yellowstone on Oct 5, 2008 and it was wonderful weather. I would go with Yellowstone.

8. Re: Glacier or Yellowstone National Park in October

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2012, 05:33
Our community is here to help!
Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor