We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

Rochester, Minnesota
Level Contributor
8 posts
41 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

Want to celebrate my 50th birthday in style with some whitewater rafting with our adult kids this June. We like a good adrenaline high, and all are excellent swimmers, comfortable in boats (grew up on lake and river), but not expert rafters. Would like to spend at least one night overnight on the river. 3-4 days max as everyone works and we need to travel from MN.

Not fussy what state we travel to, just looking for good water, good scenery and reliable, but fun outfitters/guides. It'd be a plus if the distance from the airport isn't crazy (i.e. 4+ hours).

Appreciate ideas on where and which outfitters/guides to use!

Thanks! Janell

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

For the Glacier Park area, two of the best outfitters are Glacier Wilderness Guides and Montana Raft Company. (you can see my other posts for details). These outfitters have some excellent multiple day trips.

You'd fly in and out of FCA, Kalispell, MT for the closest airport to GNP.

Congrats on doing something outstanding to celebrate your 50th!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,108 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

South fork of the Flathead should fit the bill. Have not done it myself, but friends have. Wilderness, wild and should fit the bill.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

Check out rowinc.com They have a variety of rafting trips in Montana and Idaho from any where from three to seven days.

Bozeman, Montana
Level Contributor
320 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

Make that rowadventures.com

Bonita, CA
Level Contributor
13 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

My favorite rafting trip is the Tuolumne river in California just outside of Yosemite. You can take a one day or camp overnight. It's a class IV and absolutely thrilling. You can do a 1,2 or 3 night trip. I think the 2 night trip is almost too long (you have to wait the second day to get on the river because of the dam release times.) But a suggestion might be to do the Tuolumne in one day and its sister river nearby, the Merced, the next. You'd have to do it in June or at the lastest, first week of July (Merced gets too low after that.) But both rivers have different pluses. The Tuolumne is one rapid after another and very exciting. The Merced has high waves if you go early enough making it lots of fun even if it isn't as challenging as the Tuolumne. Frankly, that's what I would do. Two rivers is always better than one! LOL FYI, I'm 55 and still rafting both rivers. Up in Montana you have the Gallitin (go early in the season) but it is a very cold river. The Yellowstone is great fun if you do it in a kayak. The Rio Grande near Taos, NM is a fun one too. All of these rivers are easily reached from airports by car. You can also fly into Fresno, CA and raft the Kings River--a Class III with an overnight steak dinner. You can go OARS, Zephyr, AOR. Most of them are excellent. Have fun!

Driggs, Idaho
Destination Expert
for Grand Teton National Park
Level Contributor
3,358 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

Have you checked out Oars? They have great trips, all filtered by either state, type of water, type of boat etc. You could even mix in gourmet dinners and wine tastings on some of their stops... .but it seems like there are PLENTY of trips to pick from w/them.

I've used their guides for flat water in the yellowstone area. If I was able to ever have the time or money for a Grand Canyon trip - I'd use them as well.

7. Re: Recommendations for Level III-IV whitewater rafting mid June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 07:18