We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Camping Areas outside of Glacier National Park

Milwaukee
Level Contributor
3 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Best Camping Areas outside of Glacier National Park

I'm bringing my dog with me, so I'm looking for a campground close to nice hiking outside of GNP. I've read that Jewel Basin has some of the better hiking areas in Flathead National Forest. Any campground recommendations? Also, how tough is it to find a walk-in site if you arrive on a weekend in July?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Camping Areas outside of Glacier National Park

Two campgrounds within a short drive of Jewel Basin are Wayfarers State Park, in Bigfork, right on Flathead Lake. You will need to get there by mid-morning to get a campsite. They don't take reservations. There is a decent hiking trail loop around the campground, but it's not wilderness hiking by any means. Pretty close to the town of Bigfork and lots of boating and swimming activity. It would be a 20 minute drive to Jewel Basin.

The other is the National Forest Campground called Swan Lake Campground. It's off Highway 83 just north of the town of Swan Lake. Again, get there before noon for a site. About a half hour to Jewel Basin, plus lots more hiking options in the surrounding area, which is the base of the Bob Marshall Wilderness, and the Swan Mountains.

Have fun!

PS You will be happy to know that fleas are not a problem here (have never encountered one in 16 years living here) but there are ticks.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Camping Areas outside of Glacier National Park

Oh, one more thing....it could be tough finding a campsite if you arrived on Sat. If you can, plan to arrive on Friday or Sunday. Not sure what you mean by a walk-in space....Wayfarers has special sites for people arriving on bicycles or kayaks or canoes.

3. Re: Best Camping Areas outside of Glacier National Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 00:19