We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

question about park entrance fees

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
question about park entrance fees

We will be in Whitefish and will have a car and want to visit GNP on the US and Cdn side. If we buy a US park pass, is it valid in both countries? What is driving/stopping time like from one side to the other in Canada?

Where would be my best resource for the highlights of the park?

USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: question about park entrance fees

Glacier National Park is in the U.S. (Montana). Waterton is the adjacent national park in Canada. They require two separate passes. If you have a annual national U.S. park pass, it will be good in Glacier, but not Waterton.

There IS a Glacier national park in Canada, but it is not the one by Glacier in the U.S.

BTW, the U.S. entrance fee gets you into the park. As long as you stay inside the park, one daily fee will suffice, no matter how long you stay. You only are checked when you enter the park. In Canada, however, your park pass must be visible at all times, so if you plan to stay a week, you need to buy a pass for a week.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,621 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: question about park entrance fees

A calrification on the information from RobUSA. When you purchase regular admission at a Naitonal Park, it is good for 7 days. So you can come and go (buy admission, enter the park, leave and come back the next day, or anytime within 7 days, and get back in the park, as long as you have the original receipt).

If you think you will visit other US parks or public lands during the year, then buy the America the Beautiful pass for $80; it will cover all admissions to US national parks, etc. for one year from date of purchase. You can by this at the Glacier NP entry station.

USA
Level Contributor
579 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: question about park entrance fees

I think there may be a little variation in the availability of daily versus weekly versus annual passes at each of the national parks and monuments. It's always a good idea to check their official websites. I know there have been quite a few times in the off season when the West Yellowstone and Gardiner entrances weren't even manned in the middle of the day and you could drive right on by. But how passes work in Canada IS different than in the US.

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,673 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: question about park entrance fees

There is no such thing as a day pass for GNP. There are certain days of the year when you can get into the park free, but on days when a pass is required, the only pass they sell is a weekly pass. You can find the entry fee info here:

nps.gov/glac/planyourvisit/entrance-fees.htm

And, yes, Waterton Lakes National Park is a completely separate park - owned and run by the Canadian government - so your GNP pass will NOT get you entrance to Waterton. Waterton does, however, sell day passes. Last year the fee was $7.80 per person or $19.60 per carload. Info here:

pc.gc.ca/pn-np/…

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,233 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: question about park entrance fees

Good information; I am glad you clarified about the Glacier National Park in Canada not being the same; I thought it was!

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
130 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: question about park entrance fees

So if we are leaving Glacier Natl Park (US) and driving to Banff and wanted to stop and see Waterton and the Prince of Wales Hotel...we would need to purchase a pass for the stop?? I too was under the impression that we could use our Glacier 7 day pass to visit Waterton. Is there anyway around purchasing a new pass for that park??

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
130 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: question about park entrance fees

I am seeing the same thing as I continue to play our trip...so if we are driving up to Jasper from Whitefish and go through one of the park roads on our way up, we will have to pay each day, even if we dont stop in the park. It is expensive that way, but I dont think there is any other way to go. Any comments or suggestions?

8. Re: question about park entrance fees

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 22:19