We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Stop in Waterton on Way to Whitefish from Calgary?

West Palm Beach Fl
Level Contributor
1,014 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Stop in Waterton on Way to Whitefish from Calgary?

I am making progess on our itinery! In searching posts here I have come to wonder about this:

We will leave Calgary by 10am (having stayed overnight after flight in from FL) in a rental car (already reserved). We need to be in Whitefish to start our timeshare stay that night (can arrive at any time - no rush to get there). I have saved the scenic drive routes from Calgary to Whitefish.

But.... would it make any sense for us to drive from Calgary to Waterton and be able to spend enough time to catch the highlights and then still get to Whitefish that night?

From what I read, we'd like to do the Shoreline Cruise, sneak a peek at the Prince Albert Hotel, and the Crypt Lake area/hike sounds great.

Since we do have a week in the area, we could, out of necessity or practicality, just drive directly (so to speak) from Calgary to Whitefish and reserve a full day during the week to go visit Waterton. Would this be better?

We will be based in Whitefish the whole time.

Input is much appreciated!

Calgary, Canada
Destination Expert
for Waterton Lakes National Park, Nelson
Level Contributor
2,682 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Stop in Waterton on Way to Whitefish from Calgary?

A full day would be better, there is no way you can do the Crypt Lake hike unless you have a full day to commit to doing it. If you want to do Crypt Lake you will need to overnight in Waterton, so that you can get on the first boat to the trail head in the morning. The last boat back from the trail head is around 4:30 or 5:00.

If you opt not to do the Crypt Lake hike then you could certainly see a little of Waterton on your way south to Whitefish. If you leave Calgary by 10am, you could theoretically arrive at Waterton at around 1 in the afternoon. This would allow you enough time to have a wander around the village, see Cameron Falls, take the Shoreline Cruise and possibly even drive up to Red Rock Canyon. Keep in mind that the border crossing at Chief Mountain (which is where you would enter Montana from Waterton) is not open 24 hours a day so you would want to leave early enough to make the border crossing.

2. Re: Stop in Waterton on Way to Whitefish from Calgary?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park