We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

Hartford, SD
Level Contributor
12 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

I have recently booked a 5 night stay during the late weeks of July for GNP. I am lodging just outside the west enterance of GNP. I am wondering if you could please provide me with ideas on things I can do with my two boys (ages 3 and 5) and wife. We enjoy nature and hiking and boating. We also enjoy good food so I am also looking for suggestions on places to eat within and around the park. I thank you in advance for your suggestions.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,235 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

There are boat rides on almost all the lakes in park. Avalanche Lake and back the Swiftcurrent trail to Fishercap Lake might be good trails for the boys. Avalanche being the longest at 4 miles RT. Also stop at Logan Pass and try Hidden Lake Overlook, a great spot to see goats. I would try for a night or two on the east side, as that is a great part of the park for wildlife. Also the boat ride there and then short hike to Grinnell Lake. Driving from the west would be 2-3 hour drive each way. Park Cafe and Johnson's outside St. Mary, Two Dog Flats at Rising Sun, Two Sisters near Babb (going toward Many Glacier) are good choices for dining. Didn't eat at Swiftcurrent last year but did have good pizza there a couple of years ago. Glacier Highland on the west and a small coffee shop in West Glacier aren't bad. Eddies in West Glacier is average but about the only choice there. For a more varied menu and a little higher priced, Belton Chalet on the west and Cattle Baron's on the east.

Mentioned in this post
Avalanche Lake
Avalanche Lake
616 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Logan Pass
Logan Pass
1,013 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
554 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Belton Chalet
Belton Chalet
336 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
14,020 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

HIkes has certainly given you enough ideas of things to do in the park for 5 days. But here are a couple of ideas of things to do outside of the park--

1. National Bison Range near Moises--This may be too long of a drive with 3 and 5 year old children, but it's a good place to see bison. In fact, if you have a similar experience to ours, the bison will be walking around your car! There are two places that you can get out of the car for hikes up hills to see over the park. There's a good visitor's center and a nice picnic area.

http://www.fws.gov/bisonrange/nbr/

2. The Amazing Fun Center--This might be a fun activity for the evening (I know it's hard to get kids to go to sleep when it's still light outside!). We had a great time with our young adult children, so it's not just for "kids". However, I will say that we were there before the summer rush and had the place virtually to ourselves. I don't know if it gets crowded at the height of the season, but that could affect how much fun your little ones have.

http://www.amazingfuncenter.com/

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

Put The Great Bear Adventure on your list. It's in Coram, just west of Glacier. No website for it, just look for the huge yellow tall fences and the signs. You pay to drive into a 15 acre well-maintained facility that houses bears who would otherwise be put in zoos (controversial, I know). You don't get out of your car, nor do you roll down your windows, but to be able to watch these amazing animals at a close distance and do so safely is something you'll remember. It's near the Amazing Fun Center.

Enjoy!

4. Re: GNP Family Vacation (3 and 5 year old)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 23:20