We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

opening of gtts road 2011

Wayside, New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
opening of gtts road 2011

I never thought that this road would be closed until late june or early july. When do they make the decision to open this road. I have already booked a 3 night stay at the rising sun motor inn and would hate to miss seeing this road. I would try to change my itinerary in the park if this road was closed

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

They won't know until a few weeks before the opening; it all depends on the weather between now and then....the last 3 years it has opened 7/2, 6/28, and 6/26....they try to make sure that it is open for the week-end of the 4th...but no guarantees....this year is shaping up (thus far) for a later open due to higher than usual snowpack....

Atlanta, Georgia
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
Level Contributor
30,593 posts
442 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

You can actually watch a web cam of the snow plowing on the GTTSR on the NPS Glacier homepage. Watched it last year all during June before our trip to Glacier.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

The decision of when to open the road is pretty much made by Mother Nature. The road crews put in long, hard, dangerous hours with tons of heavy equipment, moving snow and dislodging possible avalanche spots. Safety is the highest priority. Nobody wants to see anyone get hit with an avalanche. They open it as soon as it is safe to traverse, and as soon as the snow is cleared. They also allow hikers and bicyclist on the road for a short time before it's opened to cars.

Even if your timing doesn't allow a full crossing of this road, there are still plenty of gorgeous sights and things to do.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

Also be aware that even if the weather warms and there is rapid snow melt, the contract with the construction company states the road can not open before the Friday of the third weekend in June to allow work to be done. On the Glacier park page there is a link to the five year project with earliest opening dates and closing dates.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

Hikes, thanks for this correction. I had forgotten that there is a different set of rules during this multi-year construction program, and it is essential to repair the road. In non-construction years, it's been "open asap".

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

at this point, this is a high snow year up high in the mountains, which would tend to indicate a later opening (assuming normal melt down)

Wayside, New Jersey
Level Contributor
87 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

Thanks for the information.If the road is closed will I still be able to take the hikes in the eastern part of the park. Also I assume the red bus tours that dont cross over the gtts road would still operate

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

When we say that the road will be closed, it is the higher elevation sections of the GTTS road on either side of Logan Pass that will still be closed, if you are staying at Rising Sun, you will be in a great location to do some hiking on the east side of the Park. However, many trails will still be partially or fully closed due to snow in Late June (especially the higher elevation trails)....

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
90 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

Sounds like lots of snow this year. We are coming first week in July. Need that global warming to ramp up in the next few months and get that GTTS road open on time!

10. Re: opening of gtts road 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 18:18
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park