We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
60 reviews
Save Topic
Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

In late July we will have 4 full days in the Many Glacier area before driving GTTSR to West Glacier and eventually making the circuit to Two Medicine and St. Mary. We are aware that trails may be closed due to bear activity and weather is always an unknown. Which of the following hikes would you rate as "must-do"?

1. Iceberg Lake

2. Grinnell Glacier with a ranger

3. Grinnell Lake - boat to Upper Josephine Lake then hike to Grinnell Lake , Hidden Falls, Feather Plume Falls and return via Feather Plume Cut-off & South Shore Lake Josephine trail

4. Swiftcurrent Pass trail to Redrock Falls (is it worth going on to Bullhead Lake?)

5. Swiftcurrent Lake trail

6. Ptarmigan trail to about 0.5 mile past the tunnel (Is it feasible to do this hike on the way back from Iceberg Lake?)

7. Cracker Lake by horseback

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,051 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

You can do Ptarmigan and Iceberg together but it will make for about 15 miles and a lot of elevation change. I wouldn't pick that as the one to start with unless you are really used to hiking. My favorite would be Grinnell Glacier, followed by Ptarmigan and Iceberg. Swiftcurrent is actually worth going up the first couple of switchbacks for great views, even if you don't go to the pass. Last year we did Feather Plum Falls the same as you described. That would be my last choice. Cracker Lake is beautiful but I have not taken the horse back ride.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

hikes did a nice job for you.....mine are similar

1. Grinnell Glacier

2. Iceberg/Ptarmigan Tunnel

3. Cracker Lake

4. Swiftcurrent Trail

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,642 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

From your list, I have done the Ranger guided hike to Grinnell Glacier and the horseback ride to Cracker Lake. Both were outstanding!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

partially depends on the date: why?

Iceberg is only great when the icebergs are actually breaking up so too early or too late is much less appealing. Great wildflowers on that trail also.

I rate in order;

iceberg

grinnell

ptarmigan

logan/granite/swiftcurrent (15-17 miles)

Piegan

Cracker Lake

Eastern Connecticut
Level Contributor
267 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

Thanks for your responses. The consensus seems to be Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg and Ptarmigan. After I posted my question I also discovered a good article here on TA "Best Day Hikes"

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g143026-c71836/Glacie…

I guess we will be spontaneous for our Day 4 hike.

Arlington, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Arlington
Level Contributor
12,415 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

Our family did the hike to Redrock Falls and beyond to Bullhead Lake. I would recommend that hike because we didn't encounter any other people on the trail beyond Redrock Falls--that was great! The views at Bullhead Lake are great and it's populated by a bunch of Columbian ground squirrels who will stand and pose for you! Perhaps you would like to do this for Day 4.

Lansing, MI
Level Contributor
89 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

Sounds like Swiftcurrent part-way will be good for my wife and oldest daughter who are really not into long hikes. I think my two youngest daughters (19 and 16) will be able to keep up on the longer hikes.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

check out Fishrecap lake just 1/2 mi in on the trail as it is a moose frequenting area

9. Re: Rate these hikes in the Many Glacier area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2012, 14:16