We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

getting ready to head out....

Chicago
Level Contributor
34 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
getting ready to head out....

Just wanted to say thanks to the community for helping me get ready for our family trip to Glacier National Park. We leave tomorrow, and I don't think I'll sleep a wink tonight. So excited.

So here's the plan so far -

1.) We are flying to Kalispell. Up until last Tuesday, we were driving. But this just works out better for us. (I had a nasty accident with a vegetable mandolin last weekend. I needed a few more days to recover.)

2.) A few nights at Apgar Village with that gorgeous lake. Hoping to go on the ranger led hike to Avalanche Lake. Trail is open. Dinner at Belton Chalet? We also love taking a boat out.

3.)Then off to the east side of the park. Taking GTTS road. Maybe doing Hidden Lake in the snow. Then hiking to St. Mary Falls to Virginia Falls. Or Boat trip to Baring and St. Mary Falls. One or the other?

4.) Actually scored three nights at Many Glacier Hotel. So excited about this. My kids are even more excited.

Grinnell Glacier one day. Horseback riding - Cracker Flats? Another good day hike? Dinner at St. Mary.

5.) We have to ferry my husband back to Kalispell because he's "needed" in New York. I'm going to hang out with the kids in Kalispell for a few days. They really want to go whitewater rafting since we missed out in the Tetons last year. Maybe score some poles and do a little lake fishing. Hit the pool and eat a whole lot of pizza.

It's not the best possible trip ever, but it's what my family needs at this point. I simply cannot wait to go!

Any last minute advice? We're ready for snow, sun and bugs. Will stock up on bear spray when we get there. And traveling with only carry on bags! Should be interesting!

Thanks for everything and stay tuned for the trip report!

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
2,235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: getting ready to head out....

In Kalispell and Whitefish currently and bring loads of sunscreen. It is hotter than expected this week. Also, friends hiked up by Logan's Pass and thought it was cool and all came back with sunburns. Bug spray is a great idea. Snow was still visible but there is lots of melting and spray from waterfalls on GTTS road making it more exciting...like it needs to be more exciting! I can't wait to head out and explore after my work commitments are over. I am getting more excited hearing everyone's adventures here.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,208 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: getting ready to head out....

Whitewater is in west Glacier and with the heat, would be an excellent 3 hour trip

Belton chalet is not an inexpensive meal, but usually quite good food.

Trail status update will be available at Many Glacier, grinnell part way and ptarmigan trail at least to red rocks could produce bear sightings. Cracker Lake is nice if the snow is down enough. Look for moose at fisher cap lake and hiking to bullhead lake could also produce moose.

3. Re: getting ready to head out....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 03:18