We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting started on planning

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
125 reviews
Save Topic
Getting started on planning

Hi: I just did a great trip to Yellowstone and Grand Teton, and was thinking of spending a bit of time in Glacier next summer. We are very avid hikers, so that would be the main focus of the trip. Also I don't fancy camping (been there, done that and now I want more comfort!).

I figure we would go for a week, up to 10 days. Here are my questions:

1. Where are good places to base ourselves that would have lodging that's not unreasonably priced and would be close to hiking?

2. If we divide our time between 2 or 3 areas, which would be the best areas and how much time in each?

3. Are there sights to see or hikes to do outside the park that we could incorporate into our trip?

4. I understand the Many Glacier Hotel was half closed for renovations this year, and the other half will close next year. How did that affect things? and are we better off waiting until 2013 when all of it is done, or is there always some major renovations going on somewhere?

I guess that's enough for a start. Thanks in advance,

Kay

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting started on planning

Don't worry about MG Hotel....go....

Spend the vast majority of your time based on the East side of the park....the best hiking trails are from Many Glacier, Logan Pass and Two Medicine...

I'd spend 6 nights at Many Glacier Hotel or Swiftcurrent Inn and hike Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake, Siyeh Pass Loop, Highline to Many Glacier (with the shuttles), Hidden Lake, and Cracker Lake....

Spend 2 nights in East Glacier and hike Pitamakan/Dawson Loop and Scenic Point and 1 night on the West side....

Also, visit between late July and mid-September if you want most of the trails open and free from snow....

Edited: 20 August 2011, 02:00
indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting started on planning

Agree with the east side suggestions, but I would spend one or two nights on the west. While not as scenic, it is nice to travel across the GTTSR and not have to return the same day and it gives you a chance to spend a day in the North Fork area of the park that is often missed. After mid Sept. the road will be closed as well as many of the lodges, so plan to visit before then.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,490 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting started on planning

agree with above posts.

I am headed out the first week of sept :)!

i am at rising sun for a couple of nights then a night at granite park chalet then the rest of my time at many glacier.

I would suggest staying (in this or reverse of this order) at many glacier for at least 4 nights, then i would go over to the lake macdonald side and stay in apgar village or lake macdonald lodge

then if you can get the reservation hike up to sperry chalet and stay there at least 2 nights then back down and stay in east glacier for 3 nights.

reservations at sperry are hard to get and they usually start taking them around the end of october for the following year. once you secure those, figure out the rest! also be aware of the seasonal schedule of the shuttle. i arrive on the 2nd of sept. (sat) but won't be able to take advantage of the shuttle for my week in the park:(.

Montreal
Level Contributor
1,626 posts
125 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting started on planning

Thanks for your replies. I'll be able to use your ideas to start thinking about a trip there. I looked into the Sperry Chalet and couldn't believe how expensive it was!!!

K

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting started on planning

But if you don't mind rustic accomodations (and can afford it)...a Sperry stay is well worth it!!!

A very unique and memorable place...plus the hike from Gunsight trailhead to Sperry is in my top 3 hikes in the Park of more than 20....

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting started on planning

One reason Sperry is a little pricey is they provide the bed linens and meals. That saves a lot on what you have to pack in.

Ohio, USA
Destination Expert
for Bryce Canyon National Park, Bryce, Arches National Park
Level Contributor
7,636 posts
446 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting started on planning

One more vote for at least a couple of nights at Sperry Chalet. It was an excellent experience and great hiking into the chalet via Gunsight Pass.

Here's the link to the trip report on our excursion to Glacier in August 2009.

tripadvisor.com/…20365400

Like you, my wife and I love to hike, but want to clean up in the evening, enjoyh a nice, relaxed meal and have a decent bed....then get up and do it all over again!

Shreveport, LA
Level Contributor
954 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting started on planning

The food at Sperry is very good. They have to bring everything up on pack horses, so it costs more. The rooms are very rustic, but after hiking all the way up, the beds are great. We did Sperry a few years ago and I wish we would have stayed two nights instead of just one so we would have had a day to explore up at the Chalet.

Alberta, Canada
Level Contributor
310 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting started on planning

We really enjoyed our 2 night stay last August in East Glacier; a quaint, pretty little town. We stayed at Mountain Pine, a mom and pop style motel with parking at the door - our preferred type of accomodations. Nothing fancy, but very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced and if we're in the area again, that's where we'll be staying. Check out the reviews under hotels.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
8,784 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting started on planning

As for the renovations at Many Glacier, it will not interfere with your visit, it just means fewer rooms are available to book. We stayed there last week and loved it as much as ever. The wing under renovation has new windows (a big improvement) and structural improvvements. These rooms will be ready for use next summer. Book early!