We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

If I wish to visit Glacier National Park next summer, how many days, or nights should I allow? Also, do I stay in one area of the park and explore from there, or do I stay a period of time in one area, and additional night(s) in another? If so, what are the towns, or places, to stay? Thanks!

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,739 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

Thought I'd add that we're not hikers, but some short walks would be nice. Also, this trip would be part of a Glacier NP and Yellowstone NP road trip, with the intention of seeing the highlights in each Park. Thanks!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

in order to get the full flavor of GNP you should plan on spending 2 nights on the west side exploring area around Lake McDonald and 3-4 nights on the east side Many Glacier area

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

in order to get the full flavor of GNP you should plan on spending 2 nights on the west side exploring area around Lake McDonald and 3-4 nights on the east side Many Glacier area. try to get reservations at Apgar and Swift Current or St Mary. Closest towns are Kalispell, Whitefish and Columbia Falls on Westside. Try to get reservations in Park ASAP since many are already booked.

Louisville
Level Contributor
423 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

Personally, I think the east side of the park is far more scenic than the west side. Just my opinion though. If time is an issue, I would spend one day exploring the Going-to-the-Sun Road - especially the area from St. Mary Lake to Logan Pass, and then down to The Loop on the west side. If you have time for a short hike, you should definitely consider the easy hike from Logan Pass up to Hidden Lake Overlook:

hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake-overlook.htm

I would spend another day in Many Glacier. This area of the park is so beautiful that you have to get out to enjoy it. Another great short and easy hike is around Swiftcurrent Lake:

hikinginglacier.com/swiftcurrent-lake-nature…

I would also consider checking out Two Medicine. Almost as pretty as Many Glacier, but far fewer people.

If it were me, I would spend - AT LEAST - three full days, and focus my trip out of the St. Mary area. There are many other short hikes that will give you an excellent flavor of Glacier, and if you thought you would spend a little more time hiking, you could easily spend even more days in the park.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

Depending on when you arrive (time wise/location) a night on the west side might be appropriate. Otherwise, St. Mary and Many Glacier to the east are the places to be. A stop at Logan Pass and hike to hidden lake is great even for casual hikers with good views and animals. Otherwise, the griz 9and a moose or two) and the views are for the most part are on the east side.

6. Re: How many days/nights to see Glacier National Park?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 November 2012, 10:20