We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

airport choices

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
43 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
airport choices

I'll be flying to Glacier in Sept from Pa and wondered whether it would be better to fly into Calgary or Kalispell for our travels of Glacier and Banff-Jasper area??? Do any of you know if car rental is cheaper in the US or Canada? Any tips would be appreciated. I'm in the beginning stages of planning and need to get my route planned for hotel stays etc.... Thanks deb

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,161 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: airport choices

I haven't flown to Calgary for years, so have no idea about the price difference. We did have to spend the time going thru customs when we flew to Calgary, guess that is still the same. What ever destination, check with the rental car company about crossing the border. With most it is ok, but once in while you run into a snag.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: airport choices

If you fly in to Spokane, Glacier is a 5 hour drive. I suggest searching Hotwire or Priceline for a rental car. We usually get really good deals no matter where we travel through them.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: airport choices

gnp4me has the same experience I've had with Priceline and Hotwire. Very good..... Hotwire also offers rental car insurance much, much cheaper than the rental car companies do. I usually don't buy it, but the hotwire deal was too cheap to pass up.

NJ
Level Contributor
1,616 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: airport choices

my choice would be calgary if you are combining glacier with banff/jasper (and don't forget about YOHO!!!!!) but if you know your itinerary i would fly into the airport that you will be closest to at the end of your trip. just my preference to be closer upon departure. A longer drive at the beginning is just the start of an adventure.... if you get what i mean, iit's just personsal preference. you may also find that it is cheaper to fly into calgary. kalispell is more limited in flights. last fall it was way expensive and tiiming limited so i flew into missoula mt but i didn't go to banff this time.

5. Re: airport choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 January 2013, 10:18