We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
386 posts
219 reviews
Save Topic
Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

I have looked in the forums and searched, but haven't found what I'm looking for.

We are 2 families arriving August 1 to Many Glacier (staying west side prior to). Both families have small children (ages 2, 5, 6 and 8, 2 year old will be in a backpack).

We plan on taking the boat to the Grinnell hike. From the boat landing,

1. How far to the lake (one way)?

2. How far from the lake to the Glacier (one way)?

3. I understand the hike to the lake is relatively easy- so does it go up after that?

4. If we go past the lake, but the kids (or me) get tired, will we still see some nice views even if we don't go all the way?

Thanks so very much! I'm sorry for the specifics or if this was already asked and I just missed it :)

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
607 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

The 2 boat rides to the beginning of the trail are beautiful..something I think the entire family will enjoy. The hike itself as I recall does have some views of the mountains but for the most part stays in the woods until you reach the lake. Here's a good website that details the entire hike: www.hikinginglacier.com/grinnell-lake.htm. There is a section of the trail thats a raised boardwalk that you'll have to keep a close eye on the children, otherwise, it should be relatively easy. Beyond the lake, if you wanted to continue on to Grinnell Glacier, it would be a steep,difficult hike.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

The hike to the lake from the boat dock is very easy...

Even if you don't make it to the Glacier, you will have some awesome views down on the lake and mountain vistas....well worth doing even if the 1,700 feet of gain doesn't allow you to do the whole trip to the Glacier...

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
386 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

Thank you both for your response. This has led me to a new realization I think? I was under the impression that we hike to the lake and then continue on to Grinnell Glacier. But the website linked above seems to tell me it's more you start on a path from the boat dock and either go straight to the lake or veer right? to the Glacier at some junction.

So if we continue to the lake, is it a lot of backtracking to then take the Grinnell Glacier hike? Am I misunderstanding this? Thanks again.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

No...you are not....

At the junction, you can go to the Lake or continue above it.....

I'd recommend continuing above as the views are better from above than at the Lake....

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
386 posts
219 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

Thanks again! Very excited...

6. Re: Please help with specific Grinnell hike/lake questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 June 2013, 23:40