We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

glacier nat park Boat trips

london
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
glacier nat park Boat trips

Hi

We have just 2 days in Galcier National Park. Looking at a boat trip on one of the lakes for a few hours ..any sugestion which lake offers the most interesting trip...

paul

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

I'd say that the Many Glacier/Swiftcurrent boat trip is in the the most scenic area and would give you the opportunity to see the Many Glacier Hotel and the surroounding environs.

The St. Mary boat trip or Two Medicine boat trip would also be good choices.

Edited: 07 May 2012, 13:26
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

I've done the Two Medicine and Many Glacier boat trips and both will give you spectacular scenery. Have not done St. Mary, but I think it would be beautiful as well. It's hard to go wrong in Glacier!

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,003 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

It would give you a good reason to see Two Medicine area.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

If you take Glacier Boat in Many Glacier you get two boat rides for the price of one. That trip is my favorite with Two Medicine a close second. Hope to ride the St Mary boat this summer then I will have done all of them. I have seen bears and moose from both of these boats. The Many Glacier boat is frequently full so if your thinking that one get reservations. As of yesterday there still was a little ice on Two Medicine Lake way less then three weeks later last year. No ice on Swiftcurrent Lake and lots of bare ground and wildlife visible in Many Glacier yesterday.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

If you take the boat at Two Med, you can get off and hike a short way to Twin Falls. Then take a different boat back.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
867 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

Also note- some of the boat rides take credit cards , some do not. Some take reservations and some do not. Call first to book the ride.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

@Montana_slowh...

What do you mean you get two rides for the price of one on the Many Glacier boat ride? I'm debating between that and the Two Medicine ride, getting off to hike to Twin Falls and then back on. We're going the end of July with 6 and 9 yr old boys. Thanks.

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

You ride across Swiftcurrent, get off and walk about 300yards and then get on another boat for the ride across Lake Josephine.

Indiana...
Level Contributor
37 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

Ah, got it, Hikes. We're from Indiana too. Thanks for the tidbit.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,782 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: glacier nat park Boat trips

Many Glacier has a ranger led hike to Grinnell Lake which is an easy hike. The lake from the shoreline is not as spectacular as it is from above on the Grinnell Glacier Trail and it does cross a cable suspension bridge. Your kids might love the bridge and you might hate it. Both offer great scenery and the chance to see bears and moose along the shore line or in the case of moose swimming in the lakes.

It would greatly depend on how much hiking your kids have done. That age group can be a challenge.

This link shows both views of Grinnel Lake

glacierhikers.com/grinnell-lake.html