We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Difference between rafting companies?

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
210 reviews
Save Topic
Difference between rafting companies?

I will be heading up two groups of families with kids ranging from 12-16 years old.

We'll be RV camping in Whitefish for 7 days during the first part of July and I thought it would be great fun to get the families on a raft trip (probably 1/2 day). Any appreciable difference between the companies in the area?

Thanks in advance!!

Mentioned in this post
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,348 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

I have seen them and never heard of any differences. Maybe someone else has but I believe them all to be safe and very reputable. I believe only one is actually located right threre in West Glacier where you climb up from the river, cross the bridge and walk back to their operation. Others pick you up at the river and buss a couple of miles back to thier sites.

Mentioned in this post
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Montana Raft Company and Glacier Wilderness Guides rank at the top of my list for these reasons: 1) they've been around "forever" -- more than two decades. 2) they give back to the community substantially 3) they don't overload the rafts to capitalize on profits 4) they have high standards of safety 5) the guides are fun, knowledgable, experienced, and many return year after year (our daughter was one of them).

Have a fabulous time -- this is a highlight for many folks visiting GNP.

Mentioned in this post
Montana
Montana
United States
Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Forgot to ask if they all pretty much float the same areas?

Also, anything one way or another reference Glacier Raft Company? Just found out my travel partners have been looking at them and I see they say they've been around since 1976.

Thanks again, appreciate everyone's time chiming in on the forum.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Raft Company
Glacier Raft Company
2,341 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Glacier Raft Company and Glacier Wilderness Guides are the same. Great outfit, and yes, they all float the Middle Fork. The half-day trip is a good one because it's got the excitment of some Class III - IV rapids, and plenty of easy floating, and at the end a chance to jump out of the rafts and go for a dip - recommended if it's a very hot day, because that snowmelt river water is cold!

Enjoy!

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Raft Company
Glacier Raft Company
2,341 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Indiana...
Level Contributor
38 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Sounds like there are some great suggestions!

Can I hijack this thread and ask if anyone would recommend that 1/2 day trip for a family with 6 and 8 yr old boys as well as me, who broke my foot on 5/1? We have been on a 2hr or so rafting trip out of Jackson Hole and the boys loved it, but I am thinking that I may have to skip it in case the rapids are a bit much for my foot.

Mentioned in this post
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Talk to the folks at the rafting company, they will be best qualified to answer. I do know that they have certain spots where people can sit who will not be paddling much.

Enjoy!

Las Vegas
Level Contributor
31 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

Great info! Thanks again and I'm very excited to get up there and have some fun.

Whitefish
Level Contributor
22 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

There is very little difference between the four companies, maybe the biggest is the type and color of rafts. They all pretty much run the same stretches except for a few minor differences. If you can arrange it I would recommend a particular guide over a particular company, his name is Travis Paris (Yeaaahhha) and he works for Glacier Raft. That said they all have guides that make sure the customers have a good time.

9. Re: Difference between rafting companies?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 01:17