We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Packing for next week at Glacier

San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Packing for next week at Glacier

Trying to pack for our trip to Glacier June 30 - July 5. Watching the world weather site - looks like low/mid 80s?? How accurate is this - have any idea for next week? I hate to pack tons of clothes I will never need. I figure 1 pair of jeans, some shorts, tops and a light jacket. Hiking shoes and sandals ( taking 5 red bus tours).

SD

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

The weather is VERY changable in the mountains (particularly at Glacier). The forecast is a nice general idea but I wouldn't count on it. I'd make sure that you have decent rain gear for sure and possibly more than a light jacket just in case (and a fleece/sweater as well as hat/gloves).

You'd be amazed how cold and windy it can be up at Logan Pass even if it nice 70 degree weather in the valleys.

Edited: 25 June 2012, 16:57
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

SDMiller: today I am packing for being in San Diego June 28 - July 6. Looks like Montana could be sunnier and warmer than your part of the world!

I second toddnick's advice. Up here we call the weather forecasters "weather-guessers" because every area is a micro-climate and the changes can come swiftly. If you hit a pocket of cold wind, a hat and gloves will be very nice. A raincoat could be useful. If you're not out on long hikes you could skip rain pants. Then again it could be sunny the whole time. Packing to be able to dress in layers is the key. Bring along a day pack to carry your layers while on the Red Bus tours.

Have a great time!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

Wow, 5 Red bus tours? You will probably set a park record!

Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
168 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

Layer, layer, layer! Bring shorts, tank tops, capris, long pants, long shirts, a wind/waterproof jacket, and a warm sweatshirt or lightweight jacket. I was there yesterday, started with shorts and a t-shirt, wore a sweatshirt and a windbreaker at the Visitor Center on top, then sat on the deck at Many Glacier on the other side in my shorts and started to get a sunburn. As they say about the weather in Montana "if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it will change"! Have a wonderful trip!

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

MtMama suggestions are great! Don't forget hats, one for summer and one for winter.

MtMama how deep was that avalanche you plowed through?

With today's thunderstorms there might be some more on the GTSR.

You sure hit the jackpot with the animals yesterday I was there on Sunday and saw 3 good size Big Horn Rams in the middle of GTSR. Luckily I was able to get pics of them.

slow hiker

Edited: 26 June 2012, 13:44
Kalispell, Montana
Level Contributor
168 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

It was probably 4-6 feet deep in one spot, and not as deep in the area we plowed through. Yes, we were there Sunday also, we probably saw the same sheep, posing by the waterfall! I got some excellent photos of them as well! Yes, take a summer and a winter hat! I was just watching the thunder/lightning/hail we got here this morning and was thinking the same thing about GTSR possibly being a mess today!

We're heading to AK/Denali this weekend and it's funny, some of the same advice I am giving for the MT forum, is some of the same I'm receiving for the AK forums!

San Diego
Level Contributor
525 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

Thanks all for your input - I have a fleece jacket, a hoodie light jacket, hat, long sleeve shirt, Survivor Buff (used when we were on our safari - open vehicles) ponchos, sandals and walking shoes. We will have a backpack on the Red bus tours carring the extra clothes. I guess I'm spoiled our vacations have always been to beach areas, Hawaii & Cancun, St Thomas - so much easier to pack. We always have a great time no matter where we go. Husbnd is stoked - has all his Cannon lens ready to go!

River days - indeed you will have a nice week, the June gloom is just about over! Where you staying in SD?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,794 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

SDMiller

I've never been on the Jammers but your husband will be in heaven as you can take pictures up, as the tops are usually pulled back. Lots and lots of photo ops!

I did drive a MG across the GTSR and over to Many Glacier and the added views were inspiring.

slow hiker

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
3 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

I too am confused by the weather. I'm packing for next week and am from Florida. Seeing photos of all the snow and then seeing pictures of people in shorts in some of the webcams in Apgar is really confusing me. I feel like I need to pack for two climates.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Packing for next week at Glacier

Yup. Pack for two climates when you visit GNP. I even bring my UGGs, my Patagonia Down Sweater and my Smart Wool Base layers(tops and bottoms) :^)

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park