We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Open areas for night sky photography?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
378 posts
206 reviews
Save Topic
Open areas for night sky photography?

We will be in GNP July 28-Aug 3 (at Fish Creek camping and Many Glacier hotel). I know we are not supposed to travel after dark- but is there an open alpine area in either of those vicinities where we are staying that is also safe (read from bears and mountain lions) where we could take some nightscape pictures? Thanks.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Open areas for night sky photography?

travel after dark close to Lake MacDonald is not so risky as the roads do not border border cliffs. just look for an open area as you are driving in the vicinity. Along Camas Rd are some meadows. I certainly would not worry about animals if you keep close to your car. I think you will be visiting around a full moon so the sky will not be as dark. At Many Glacier you could drive the couple blocks to the picnic are. That is pretty open.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,655 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Open areas for night sky photography?

I would go up Camus Road towards the North Fork Road as gnp4me suggests and possible go as far as the Huckleberry Nature Trail

www.glacierhikers.com/lunar-eclipse-2008.html

I shot the this Lunar Eclipse from the Camus Road near there - Camus Road was under 3 feet of snow which why I would suggest Huckleberry Nature Trail

since you could be next to your car there and away from Apgar lights

More then once I have encountered bears while taking pictures on the meadows along Camus Road.

That location gives a dark sky with the occasional car coming up the North Fork Road being the only source of lights.

slow hiker

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
378 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Open areas for night sky photography?

Thanks for covering both ends of my trip. Love the lunar photos- impressive. Very excited!

4. Re: Open areas for night sky photography?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 July 2013, 21:17