We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trails without horses

Mullica Hill, New...
Level Contributor
6 posts
91 reviews
Save Topic
Trails without horses

We are making our first trip to Glacier in early August. We are looking to avoid trails with horses. Do any trails not have horse traffic? Or, are there only a few with horse traffic?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trails without horses

Most trails are horse free. Trails to avoid: Cracker Lake and a portion of the Grinnell Lake trail at Many Glacier. The Sperry trail at Lake McDonald is also heavily traveled by mules and horses. There are some trails in the Belly River that are used by horses but they are mostly back country trails. I have seen horse poop on the trail to Gunsight Lake.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trails without horses

There are maybe half a dozen trails in the park shared with horses. The main ones are Cracker Lake, and Sperry Trail. Swiftcurrent Pass is another... they're all shown on the park website which is excellent.

None of the best hiking trails have horses on them.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,799 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trails without horses

The Loop Trail is also a horse & mule trail. Apgar Lookout Trail is also a horse trail as is Snyder Lake Trail. Part of the Grinnell Lake Trail is a horse trail.

As far as horse traffic on trails Cracker Lake Trail and Sperry Trail are at the top with most likely daily traffic. The Loop Trail I see horses/mules about 50% of the time. I would freak if I had to pass a horse on the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail on the drop into Many Glacier. I did see horses on the Ptarmigan Tunnel Trail but I was at the tunnel when they were coming up from Elizabeth Lake.

The worst is Cracker Lake Trail (I still like the trail)

and 2nd worst is Sperry Chalet Trail.

100 years ago they were all horse trails.

GNP Day Hike Guide marks the horse trails in brown.

Good question.

slow hiker

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trails without horses

I would not worry about horses on Swift Current Trail. I have been on that trail dozens of times and have never seen a horse. Horse travel not recommended due to cliffs and exposure.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
5,077 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trails without horses

Agreed I've never seen a horse on Swiftcurrent either. I have seen a couple on Gunsight (Lake not Pass) which I don't believe is noted as a "horse trail" officially. Though you shouldn't encounter any issues on these seldomly rode trails... you'll see more wildlife droppings than tame animal droppings on pretty much every trail except for the trail ride ones of Cracker Lake and Sperry (Trail not Glacier).

Edited: 18 July 2012, 02:37
6. Re: Trails without horses

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 July 2013, 06:17