We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

First off, I apologize for my dumb questions to follow.

A little history.......my wife worked in Glacier on summer and has always said, "We should go to Glacier for a vacation." We have now been married 44 years; I guess it's time.

Tonight I found this site and already have gained a wealth of information. Now for my general questions:

* Since we plan to take Amtrak from WI and we think we want to stay at of of the lodges (like Many Glacier)......which one would you recommend and why?

* How do we get to our lodge from the train station?

* Should we rent a car?

* Because of our age (and wife's hip problem), we will not be hiking, what would you suggest? Boat trip(s), Red Bus trip to Going To The Sun.......what else?

More dumb questions to follow.

Thank you (in advance).

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

Oh, how many days/nights would you recommend?

Thanks.

Neenah, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
353 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

Oh yes........what month do you suggerst?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

July thru September would be a good time. Earlier and the road across the park may not be open. You can take boat rides on any of the lakes, but St. Mary's looks best to me. I would rent a car so you can travel at your own pace. It can take a full day to see the park traveling across the GTTSR. I would stay about 3 nights at Many Glacier and maybe one on the west side after driving across the park. If you are not hiking, that should give you time to sight see. A Red Bus tour might be good and it would give you chance to see the park without driving and then some spots that interest you, you can return later with your own car.

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
415 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

I agree with hikes. At least mid-July through September because the Going to the Sun Road may have a late opening and you'd probably want to have it open.

Check out the Trail of the Cedars- it's a boardwalk trail (I believe entirely boardwalked and handicap accessible- so a flat easy trail) through old cedars near Avalanche on the western-ish side of the park. I think it's .7 (that's point 7) miles.

Stop at Logan's Pass Visitor's Center at the Continental Divide on the Going to the Sun Road.

I have not been, but I've been researching for well over a year and will be there next week! Finally!

The people on this site are fantastic and well informed. They will help you a ton as they've done me.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

Some great advice above....

I'd plan on a week for the Park....

Stay at least 3-4 nights at MG Hotel (Lodge)....

indiana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

Something I just thought of, with your wife's hip problems, be aware that parking at Many Glacier ( a great old lodge I would suggest staying in) is up over a hill with lots of steps. There is handicap parking nearer the hotel, so plan accordingly. Great public areas at Many Glacier , but you can enjoy those even if you stay elsewhere.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,717 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

I second Chamdex suggestion regarding Tail of Cedars.

If your wife needs to use a wheelchair then approach it from the Avalanchhe Campground side as that is blacktop rather then a wooden walk way with spaces between.

The other handicap trail in the park which is gravel is Running Eagle Falls in Two Medicine.

There is a paved walkway which is STEEP up to the lower meadows at Logan Pass.

slow hiker

8. Re: Trying to plan first trip to Glacier National ParK.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2013, 10:17