We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

We will be driving from MG Hotel to West Glacier the first day and from West Glacier to St Mary the 2nd day and would like idea for some good day hikes and stops along the way. We don't mind waking up early and are in good physical condition for hiking. Unfortunately we'll be there around Sept 8th so I think the hiker shuttle will already be closed.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

We were in MG last week, and spent Day 1 in the MG area, as some of the best hikes are there. (Grinnell Glacier, Iceberg Lake).

We did St.Mary lake & area hikes on our way to GTTS Road, then stopped & parked at Logan Pass, did Hidden Lake & part of the Highline Trail.

We did not use the shuttle, as we did not want to risk waiting along the way for 5 empty seats.

Edited: 01 August 2012, 23:39
Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
619 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

I would also recommend Hidden Lake Overlook which starts at Logan Pass Visitor's Center. Part of the trail is on a raised boardway with some steps, but you're almost always guaranteed to see mountain goats at the overlook:

hikinginglacier.com/hidden-lake-overlook.htm

Another easy walk/hike is around Swiftcurrent Lake at Many Glacier Hotel:

hikinginglacier.com/swiftcurrent-lake-nature…

Omaha
Level Contributor
17 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

Please be aware of the length of travel time on GTTS due to all the road construction. Going from east to Logan Pass is easy but Logan Pass west you need to plan on double or more travel time.

Norman, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
105 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

Without stopping. What is travel time to Logan pass, and from Logan Pass to West Glacier?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

Well that is a tricky question as on the west side there are construction delays of up to 30 minutes.

St Mary to Logan Pass is 1/2 hour Logan Pass to West Glacier without any stopping is 1 hour. That is without traffic, or animal on the road delays.

www.glacierhikers.com/st-mary.html and Virginia Falls are on the East side.

Avalanche Lake Trail on the west side.

http://glacierhikers.com/avalanche-lake.html

Lahood suggestions for Many Glacier are good trails.

slow hiker

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

I generally find that it is just under 2 hours across the GTTS road with normal construction....

There is no construction on the east side so it would only be about 35-40 minutes to Logan Pass from St. Mary unless there is awful traffic....the majority of the time is between West Glacier and Logan which is 12 more miles and has construction....

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
453 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

My family and I just got back two weeks ago from Glacier. There is construction on GTTS road from Logan Pass to West Glacier. Depending upon how you hit it, your travel time may be around twenty minute longer/shorter. We took the shuttle from Logan to Lake McDonald Lodge and it took around 45 minutes (we hit it with minimal construction time). Add on roughly another half hour and a rough estimate would be around 1.25 hours from Logan to West Glacier non-stop on a good day and perhaps closer to a little shy of 2 hours with construction issues.

I would certainly suggest taking the Hidden Lake overview trail at Logan Pass (3 miles RT). BEAUTIFUL and you're sure to see mountain goats. I do want to note that when we were there around two weeks ago, we were walking in snow after the boardwalk (in other words: about 3/4 of the trail was covered in snow). The snow was packed down, but we saw some folks attempting it in flip flops (did they think they were at the beach? You're in the mountain, folks!) NOT a good idea! Make sure you're wearing closed toed and sturdy shoes, and check when you get there to see what the conditions are. Otherwise, it's not a strenuous hike. Bring some snacks or your lunch and eat it while overlooking the lake. There's also a marmott who makes his home in the rocks at the end of the trail so keep an eye out for him. My kids LOVED him!

Avalanche Lake (5 miles RT) closer to Lake McDonald Lodge is also a nice hike. Same thing: Take a snack and enjoy the view. You hike the Trail of Ceders first to get to it. If time is short, simply do the Trail of Cedar loop trail (.7 miles) and enjoy the huge cedar trees.

For a wonderful day hike in the Many Glacier area, I would highly suggest the Iceberg Lake trail (10 miles RT). The first 1/4 mile is the worst part where you're hiking uphill, but the rest is basically flat. The views are amazing! If you don't want to hike the entire way, hike to Ptarmigan waterfalls which is located at the halfway point.

All three of these hikes aren't very strenuous and are good for anyone in average condition.

Enjoy your visit. You'll love it!

8. Re: Itenerary for two days on GTTS Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 August 2013, 01:15