We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gunsight Pass Hike

Hermiston, Oregon...
4 posts
Save Topic
Gunsight Pass Hike

We are planning a backpack trip from Jackson Overlook to Lake McDonald via Gunsight Pass. I am hearing snow/ice on the trail? My husband and I are not experienced on ice and snow so wondered what it was really like and if we need to reconsider. We are planning 4 days total and have as of yet to get the campgrounds we wanted but have been told by backcountry camping they will try to accomodate us when we get there. Thanks for any advice and help you can give us. Our trip is planned for Aug 21-24 2012.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,534 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

There should be minimal to zero snow crossings at that time of year. Crampons, etc. would not be required. However, at higher elevations weather can change at any time and snow is always possible. Trail updates are posted on the park website.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

in case those sites are not available, have a second and third choice itinerary

Hermiston, Oregon...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

I've called the backcountry office and they weren't a lot of help as to specific details. The last update on the website is 7/25 which is almost a month

difference from our trip. I was hoping to find someone that has made the trip recently to share some specifics of the pass. thanks for the help.

Chicago
Level Contributor
520 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

Hi Cindee,

This thread might be helpful--the photos are from 7/28. Most people seem to think that the snow fields will be more or less gone by the end of August.

…nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php…

We'll be hiking up there from 8/26-28.

Nashville
3 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

Hi Cindee,

We posted that report of the water and snow obstacles on Gunsight on July 28th. One of the reasons we took so many pictures of the trail highlights is that we found the GNP trail status page to be outdated and info at the backcountry office lacking. I understand from GNP Chatters who've been up more recently that the snowfields are essentially a nonissue now, so you ought to be set for Aug 21st. Good luck and have a great hike! Its one of the best hikes we've ever done....scenery is phenomenal!!

Hermiston, Oregon...
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

Thanks so much for the help. Yeah it's a shame that the backcountry office really doesn't have the information needed. It's not like any of us live around the block so it takes a lot of planning. I have found that the Sperry Chalet website is posting updates too so that helps in know what is going on. We are really looking forward to the challenge and the views!!! Now if we can just get the permit sites changed to our original request we'll be home free!!!

Thanks again everyone!! What a great helpful community we have in the back country!!

Rancho Cucamonga
Level Contributor
49 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

Hey Cindee,

I just returned from the park yesterday and just to let you know the weather was very warm...lucky me :) I did not hike the Gunsight Trail this year, but it is one of my favorite hikes. However, I did talk to a couple who hiked it a few days ago and said there were no problems including the head water crossing at Ellen Wilson Lake. Unless the weather changes you should have a perfect hike. Although, it is Glacier and it's best to be prepared for all weather conditions. In Glacier if I'm hiking at a higher elevation and going a distance I always carry yak tracs in my day pack just in case, as it can turn ugly real quick. Happy trails :)

Hermiston, Oregon...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

Perfect! Thanks for the update very much appreciated. Now just keeping our fingers crossed we get the campgrounds situated. Weather looks like it should be decent and I can hardly wait to go exploring!!!

Take care everyone!!!

9. Re: Gunsight Pass Hike

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 August 2013, 18:17