We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

Hello all, I'm about to head over from Australia, planning a 'grand tour for one!' and just trying to figure out how to get from East Glacier to wherever the nearest Greyhound/Rimrock bus station is located, with a view to heading towards Yellowstone (stopping off in a few towns along the way). My plans so far are to arrive by Amtrak train into West Glacier on Aug 31st, spend that night at Village Lodge, next night at Lake Lodge, next night at Rising Sun (these were the only accommodations I could get in the park at the last minute) and next night (the 3rd) thinking of staying in East Glacier and doing a Red Bus tour that day to Waterton NP/Many Glacier, but I can't figure out how to get from East Glacier the following day (the 4th) to allow me to travel south through Montana by bus (eventually to Yellowstone).

The only option I can come up with after hours of internet searching is to take the Amtrak train on the night of Sept 3rd to Whitefish station, stay o/n in Whitefish and take the Rimrock bus from there the next day, but I imagine the train will run very late. Unable to travel back to West Glacier via free park shuttle on the 4th because it ceases operation on the 3rd. I thought of taking the Amtrak train to Shelby on the morning of the 4th, but the bus from Shelby to Great Falls only runs on Mondays and Thursdays! I guess I could cut my visit to Glacier NP short by one day but since I'm making such an effort to get there I don't really want to if I can help it.

Any advice about other means of travelling out of East Glacier on Sep 4th without a car, with a view to heading south through Montana would be greatly appreciated!

Many thanks,

Lois

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

Well you can always try to hitch a ride if you are brave enough. Seems the best option is to take the train to Whitefish. If it is on time it will arrive shortly before 9pm.

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
2. Re: Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

Thanks for your reply gnpforme. Yes, I've decided that I don't need to stay in E. Glacier if there is no transport out from there the following morning (even hire cars are sold out for that day), so after the Red Bus tour I will return to Apgar Village by free park shuttle, take Amtrak to Whitefish, stay overnight and catch the Rimrock bus the following morning. Now for the rest of my trip's logistics..........just another two weeks' worth!

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
14 reviews
3. Re: Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

It would have been faster but I just got back from 4 days of awesomeness at Many Glacier!

4. Re: Public transport from East Glacier Park heading south

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 August 2013, 19:18