We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pets

McKinney, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Pets

Has anyone traveled with pets? They are not allowed on the hiking trails?

What have been your experiences?

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pets

Glad you are asking before you travel. I saw numerous people travelling with pets that were so surprised to find pets are not allowed on trails. It is for their safety as well as the animals in the park. I saw one couple that was getting ready to hike St. Mary's Falls that had a dog in their car they had the windows cracked. I could not even hold back, I said "you are NOT leaving your dog in the car while you hike are you? It is way too hot, it will die!" Another woman walking repeated my words "it will die". I kept walking, but all I could think of the whole trail was if they hiked or not, they must have changed their mind because they would have been behind us and the car was gone.

I miss my dog terribly when on vacation, but we go to Glacier to hike, so unfortunately she has to stay home. I guess it depends what you plan to do while in the park.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pets

When we were at the Many Glacier campground, two young women would leave their dog leashed to their picnic table and take off for the entire day. They left him with water and dog food ( a big no no as any food left out can attract bears). Although he did not fuss or complain, I felt sorry for him. I know I have read a rule that you can not leave a dog unattended at Glacier. It's funny the rangers who walk or drive through the campground on an almost hourly basis did not do anything.

When were in the Canadian Rockies before GNP, we saw lot's of dogs on trails and I think they are allowed on any trail in Wateron. I do know that Banff NP does not allow dogs on some trails that are in bear habitat.

Edited: 30 August 2012, 19:57
Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
448 posts
242 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pets

I realize that many folks travel with their pets. However, they aren't allowed on the trails in Glacier and it's not wise to even bring them into the park. It's unsafe to leave them in a car alone while you're hiking, and dogs and bears/mountain lions certainly don't mix when it's outside of the car. Bears and mountain lions would have no problem attacking it. For the safety of your pet, I would strongly suggest you leave it at home.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
21,098 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pets

I can not stand the thought of those people leaving their dog chained to the picnic table alone for a day. Why didn't the rangers do something??? Ohhhhh makes me mad, that poor dog would have been easy prey for the big carnivores in the park.

McKinney, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pets

That is cruel, dangerous and inconsiderate.

McKinney, TX
Level Contributor
33 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pets

Dogs shouldn't be left unattended - anywhere. We took our dog to Yellowstone and Yosemite but she was small and we were able to carry her in something similar to an infant carrier. It sounds like that's not a good idea at Glacier.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
790 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pets

GNP4ME

What I saw with the people who were going to leave the dog in the car was horrifying in itself, but to leave a dog prey to the wildlife in the park is sheer stupidity, and neglect! I am an animal lover and hate to see animals being abused. Both incidents we have sited are abuse IMO! You need to care for, and protect your animals like you would your children! In Glacier they are not able to protect themselves against the dangers that are present ther. They have to rely on their owners having the sense to do it for them.

MT
Level Contributor
268 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pets

Just used Triple R Kennel in Columbia Falls this summer. Kept our dog with us part of the time, and in the kennel part of the time. Nice facility and an easy drive from West Glacier.

9. Re: Pets

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2013, 10:17