We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

**Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
**Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

we are starting to plan our 2013 trip ... end of august-first week of sept.

can anyone tell me if rental cars are allowed to cross the border? if so which ones? unlimited milage? where to get good deals on cars?

also,we have 11 days to see:

glacier national park, us

banff canada

lake louise

yoho national park??

i know we will be having to "hustle" but this is our one & only opportunity to see this area...

what are the must see/do?? middle agers just trying to see as much as we can..love to take the scenic route.. we are not big heavy hikers but are willing to do the small/ shorter ones for the reward !!

you people are always so nice to help... so thanks in advance!! :o)

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
for Santa Fe, Mesa Verde National Park, Boulder, New Mexico
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

I have been planning a similar trip except we are driving from New Mexico with our trailer, so have to add 4 days of travel on beginning and end. Here's a modified version of our trip...

Day 1 Fly into Kalispell MT. To West Glacier area

Day 2 Drive Going to the Sun Highway to the eastern side of the park

Day 3 Many Glacier Lodge area

Day 4 Waterton Lakes

Day 5 To Banff via Head Smashed in Buffalo Jump in Fort Macleod and then up to Canmore/Banff area

Day 6 Banff to Lake Louise

Day 7 Lake Louise and then over to Yoho NP to see Takakkaw Falls, the town of Field etc. Back to Lake Louise for the night

Day 8 Lake Louise to Columbia Ice Fields. Either stay there or on to Jasper for the night

Day 9 Jasper area

Day 10 Back to Calgary or route through Kooteney NP and then down to Kalispell the next day.

Day 11 Back to Kalispell? or leave out of Calgary, not sure about car rental stuff

Nashville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
140 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

wow.. thanks alot !!! you must have been reading my notes!! haha.. because that is very similiar to what i have put together so far... just have not worked out details yet. when is your trip?

looking forward to hearing more from you !!

:o)

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

IMHO I would skip Waterton. You will get the same type of ambiance in the Canadian Rockies. I would add one more day to the Many Glacier area or Banff.. we spent 12 days in Canadian Rockies and still did not see it all.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
206 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

I always seem to get my best rental prices with Hotwire... Try them and also try going direct to the car rental company..Sometimes Hotwire gets me an Avis, and sometimes it's an Alamo.... Both were OK to cross the border with... Rules change so check again..Read the reviews on Zoom rental before you rent!!! Great prices but bad reviews...Good luck, and it's good to see your planning in advance.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

Hey GNP...why would you skip Waterton? From what I have seen online it looks interesting and photogenic. Plus that hotel looks really cool.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
20 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

i guess its what makes the world go round but I would definitely not miss Waterton, altho i have never been to Banff. Even the drive thru Chief Mtn road was wonderful. (watch out for all the cows in the road! lol) Had no issue with taking my rental across the border.' Bang for your buck' hike would be Hidden Lake at GTTS rd and one not mentioned much was the fischer cap lake/ redrock falls hike in Many that I thought was very easy and rewarding. (check out the moose in Fischercap and the bears in all of the Many area. (i saw 4 grizzlies and 3 black!) . If its limited time at Glacier I would concentrate on the east side but if you are going to the west side at all, Trail of the Cedars isnt really even a "hike" and it was very worth the little effort. (avalanche lake wasnt worth the effort tho, in my very humble opinion!). Btw, the border crossings are not open 24/7 so be sure to check that out!

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

Be sure to check that you can take your rental car as far as Jasper....we had one company tell us we could take it into Canada...Waterton and Banff but that we couldn't go north of Banff...so if you plan to do much of the icefields parkway or to Jasper, make sure you ask!

We ened up with Hertz....best prices for what we wanted...full size car & able to share drivers (check that as well...spouse is usually ok)...$352 with taxes and fees for 8 fulls days. We were able to use our AARP discount.

We leave this week....flying in, 2 in the park, 3 in Canada, 3 more in the park, fly home....I am sure it will be rushed but will give us a taste of everything!

Expedia gave us some of the best prices on hotels in Canada.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

The reason I would skip Waterton is because I don't think you can begin to do justice to Glacier and Canadian Rockies in 11 days. many Glacier deserves two FULL days. Richard M has never been to Banff area so he has nothing to compare it with. So say you spend 1 full day on west side of Glacier, two days Many Glacier. Then it will take you 1 full day to get to Banff. 2-3 days Banff, Lake Louise, 1-2 days Yoho, Columbia Icefields, 1 day Jasper and another long day to get back to Kalispell with a flight out the next day. That's about 11 days.

Yes Prince of Wales is a cool historic hotel but you will see the Banff Springs Hotel which is amazing. The scenery is nice but not that different from Glacier US. And if I do say, the Canadian Rockies are the most majestic mountain range I have ever seen and I have seen alot of mountain ranges. You will be blown away at every turn. You will not miss Chief Mt as it is you pass right on the way to the border.

Santa Fe, New Mexico
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,714 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

Hey thanks GNP. I am struggling with my trip plan trying to see and do as much as possible as we may not ever get that far north again! We have a huge amount of travel 3 to 4 days driving each way from/to NM. Not sure if we can take 3 weeks off work to get to Glacier, Waterton, Banff, Jasper, Yoho and Kooteney. Plus places in between.

Wv
Destination Expert
for West Virginia
Level Contributor
2,098 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: **Glacier national Park. u.s/ Banff & area

Kjay....we just returned from a similar trip.....we got a taste of everything but nothing in depth...fantastic trip, amazing scenery, wildlife, hiking....I will be posting soon!! People will say we didn't do anything justice...but do your trip your way and you CAN see and do a lot. We just did some highlights of each place....and we still had a wonderful time.

Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park