We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

PA
Level Contributor
367 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

i will be visiting GNP in early july; this will be part of a longer (much longer) road trip across country (and back--see my thread in the road trip forum). my husband and i chose glacier as our longest stay--we have five to six days to spend there. my question is--how much time should we devote to each area of the park? i'm thinking of staying at many glacier for the first part of the trip, and lake mcdonald for the second. we are looking to do:

-a couple (a few?) day hikes (8-10 miles max per day)

-some self-driven touring

-possibly a 'bus tour' in those red vehicles

-definitely a day trip up to the canada side, possibly to gawk at the hotel up there (and maybe have tea. yes, my husband would be ok with that).

-horseback riding. i feel like this is an option, though i could be wrong.

-some general relaxing. again, this is the longest stop on what will be a 33 day trip for him (and a 60 day trip for me).

we have five or six days. how would you split this up? i was thinking of three nights at many glacier and two at lake mcdonald, but then when i added the day trip up to canada, i thought perhaps i should add a day to the many glacier side. if i do this, should i subtract a day from the lake mcdonald portion? or add an additional day in the park (which would only subtract a day from a later portion of the trip, likely the seattle area). thoughts? thanks in advance!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,989 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

I would spend most of the time in the Many Glacier area. There are great trails in that area that are the distance you want. You can visit Waterton as a day trip from there also. There are also boat and horseback rides. Then you can take one full day to travel across the park to the west. I think one night would be enough on the west (Village Inn at Apgar would be my pick) unless you want to travel to the North Fork, then I would allow two nights on the west. This may be too much to do in your time frame, if so I would not visit the North Fork area. Not knowing the rest of your trip plans I don't know if you want to drop a night from any other location to spend more time in Glacier. There is enough to do that you could easily spend a week there. It is not too early to get your rooms now, July is when things really start to get busy in the park.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

Ditto what hikes said. Good advice. 4 nights needed at Many if you drive to Waterton.

PA
Level Contributor
367 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

ok! four nights it shall be! and yes, that makes sense--to drive across the park (stopping, i'm sure) and end in the west. i think i WOULD like two nights there. thank you, both of you! i guess i was just worried that what i wanted--a full week in the park--would be too much. clearly that's not the case. i can easily delete a day from the other end of the trip. i'd be losing a day in seattle. which is fine.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

Great advice above!!!

Many Glacier (especially for hiking, boat rides, horseback rides, mountain scenery) is the place to be in the Park.

A night or two on West side is also worthwhile for a different kind of beauty.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

starting on the west, should you happen to be there for the 4th of July, get up to Polebridge (go there anyway when on the west side) for the 4th of July parade. It starts at noon, but arrive no later than 11:30 am. A very "unique" event. Then be sure to try the baked goods at the Merc.

Other suggestions prior = agree

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

Many Glacier is a great start.

Iceberg Lake Trail should be open by then

www.glacierhikers.com/iceberg-lake.html

The first part of the Swiftcurrent Pass Trail will also be open see the link to Red Rock Falls on my Iceberg Lake page.

Grinnell Glacier Trail most likely won't be open by then but you might be able to get to the Grinnell Lake view point on the Grinnell Glacier Trail.

www.glacierhikers.com/grinnell-glacier.html

There are several short hikes that tie into the GTSR

St Mary Falls & Virginia Falls are fairly easy hikes to nice waterfalls.

www.glacierhikers.com/virginia-falls.html

At Logan Pass HIdden Lake Trail has a great view but lots of steep steps on the boardwalk.

www.glacierhikers.com/hidden-lake.html

Be prepared for winter weather in July at Logan Pass.

Then the Highline Trail which also starts at Logan Pass potentially with great wildflowers!

www.glacierhikers.com/highline-trail.html

slow hiker

Edited: 30 November 2012, 17:25
PA
Level Contributor
367 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

thanks for the tips (and the links!), slowhiker! also, i LOVE your name. :-) oh and thanks for the winter weather tips; my pennsylvania brain is not capable of comprehending snow in july, but i'm clearly going to have to prepare for it. thank you!

8. Re: a 'slow' visit to Glacier--itinerary help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 December 2013, 14:17