We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accommodation Recommendations

Herts England
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Accommodation Recommendations

I have spent the last week trying to sort out accommodation for our visit in late July. But of course I seem to have left it too late to stay in the park. ( this is part of a months trip, including Alaska, and I was not in a position to book earlier!)

We wanted 2 nights at Many glacier Hotel July 29/30 and two at Lake McDonald Lodge July 31/Aug1.

We can possibly stay at St Mary Lodge& Resort the first 2 nights, but struggling in the west of the park. Whitefish Best Western Rocky Mtn Lodge is an option, would this be a better location than Kalispell?

We will have been in Banff/Jasper/LL before Glacier and after are hoping for 2 nights in Waterton, before flying out of Calgary.

We want to hike (short/medium) and I am a keen photographer.

Any accommodation suggestions/comments are appreciated!

NellyMo

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

For the west, did you check Village Inn at Apgar? On the east, Swiftcurrent? Keep checking for cancellations. I would call rather than rely on the website. It isn't always up to date.

Herts England
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

Thanks hikes, spoke to the central reservation people....said all options gone!!

don't think I can contact each accommodation separately.........and not cheap phoning from the UK!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,165 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

Central reservations is the number, the lodges only book same day rooms when they have cancellations. I have not stayed at St. Mary Lodge since Glacier Park Inc took it over. I was not happy when we stayed there under the previous owners.You might also check Thronson's motel. It is right at the entrance to the Many Glacier valley. It is my understanding it has been refurbished and gets pretty good reviews. On the west, maybe check Belton Chalet,

http://www.beltonchalet.com/index.php ,right outside the park, they also have a good restaurant or westglacier.com/west_glacier_park_lodging.php near Lake McDonald. A couple of choices on this site. I hope these links go thru.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 18:27
buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

Currently you could get a night at Swiftcurrent Inn on the 29th and MG Hotel on the 30th. I'd do this over staying at St. Mary for sure. They are only a mile apart (MG Hotel & Swiftcurrent); it is also highly likely that if you get one night at each, a cancellation with open so you don't have to move.

You can easily see what is available on-line using the tool below. I have found it to be 95% accurate in dealing with Glacier Park Inc.

https:/…Lodging

Herts England
Level Contributor
186 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

toddnick...thank you.........we have 2 rooms at Swiftcurrent on 29th and MGH on 30th. I had not seen the site for checking availability.

The 31st/1st are proving more difficult...we can now get rooms at Lake Mc on 31st but not the 1st and I think If I suggest another room move after just one night then there will be a family riot!

Hopefully by Monday there might be a cancellation at Lake Mc or the Village Inn.

hikes, thank you...those links look promising too.

Seattle
Destination Expert
for Grand Canyon National Park
Level Contributor
9,072 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

There is another lodge at Apgar, the Apgar Village Lodge, with cabins and motel rooms. Www.westglacier.com is the site. Mthey do not reveal availability on-line, but you can submit a non-binding reservation request online ( no need for an expensive phone call).

7. Re: Accommodation Recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park