We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trail Status mid July?

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Trail Status mid July?

My husband and I are going to be coming mid July next year and looking to do some hiking, particularly hidden lake, iceberg lake,maybe high line, or avalanche lake. My question is are these trails fully opened and if so are they still snow covered? Any info appreciated thanks!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trail Status mid July?

Usually by mid July most trails open. Last year was a really late opening for some of the higher elevation trails. I think the park let many melt last year instead of trying to clear them. Many were not fully open till mid July or later. Check slowhikers webpage and you can see all the openings last year.

http://www.glacierhikers.com/

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trail Status mid July?

Thanks for the advice I really want to do hidden lake trail particularly I understand they'll be some snow on the ground still well be there July 14-22 will we be able to do this trail will we see the meadow s of alpine flowers? Any help appreciated thanks!

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,334 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trail Status mid July?

Varries year to year, but agree that generally this is clear by mid-July as enough traffic to wear baths through snow if any left on hidden lake

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trail Status mid July?

Okay sounds like hidden lake is going to be doable even if there is still snow, i wasnt sure if you were allowed to go up it with snow still down,how about iceberg lake I've seen a lot of reviews on here of it that were from july but can't get a clear answer on it,any advice? Also if there is snow on these trails are trekking poles necessary?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,249 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trail Status mid July?

It all depends on snow this winter. I have hiked to Iceburg at the first of July when the last half mile or so had snow. Trail was well marked with flags and good path worn down by others. Trekking poles are good for balance, even if there isn't snow. Some of the trails have loose rock and they really help the knees on the downhill. At times some trails have steep snow crossings but the park service is really good about posting warnings on these trails. Grinnell is one that comes to mind as having warnings the past couple of years.

Edited: 10 January 2013, 11:20
PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trail Status mid July?

Thanks so much for all of your advice can't wait to go!

7. Re: Trail Status mid July?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2014, 05:19