We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GNP - First trip in late June

Wapakoneta, ohio
2 posts
Save Topic
GNP - First trip in late June

We will be visiting GNP in 2013 from June 21-30 with 16 people ranging in ages from 3-65. I have a couple of questions. 1. We are renting a house in West Glacier but want to explore a many different areas of the park as possible. I have read that the earliest the GTTSR will open is June 21 due to the construction schedule. Is it likely that it will be fully open while we are there? 2. Also, we are planning on doing the Grinnell Glacier and Iceberg Lake hikes while we are there but again, these are on the east side and weather dependent. What are recommendations for must-do hikes on the west side in case GTTSR doesn't open as I am hoping? 3. Any other suggestions? We will be booking a boat ride as well as a horseback/wagon combo while we are there. Love day hikes and things we can do as a large group. Thanks for any advice!

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: GNP - First trip in late June

There is a chance that the road will be fully open during your stay; but not better than 50-50. Also, this early in the season the trails for Iceberg Lake and Grinnell Glacier are likely to only be partially open due to snow...

I really like Huckleberry Lookout on the West side (which will likely be open by mid-June...

Avalanche Lake is an easy and popular hike on the West side...

Edited: 21 January 2013, 16:59
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
2,963 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GNP - First trip in late June

agree with above. There will be much snow at Logan pass, but always worth a stop and walk about, as well as some of the falls like virginia on the other side.

Wapakoneta, ohio
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: GNP - First trip in late June

Thank you for the responses. I will be crossing my fingers that GTTSR opens while we are there! Do you know when I can make reservations for the Red Jammer bus tours?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GNP - First trip in late June

Call Glacier Park Inc. They will be able to tell you that.

5. Re: GNP - First trip in late June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 January 2014, 07:18