We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

Planning a future trip to Glacier, can't decide if I should save a little money and stay at Swiftcurrent or stay at Many Glacier. I loved our stay at Old Faithful a few years ago, but my husband did not because of the amount of people and tour buses. I wasn't sure if Many Glacier would be crowded like OF Inn. We will probably stay one night on the west side at Village Inn at Apgar, and 3 nights on the East Side, just can't decide on Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

My opinion...

If you can get a lakeside balcony room, go for Many Glacier...spectacular views from those rooms...the downside of Many Glacier is that it is more expensive...you also have a few hundred yard uphill walk from the hotel to the Parking Lot (so less convenient)...

Swiftcurrent is cheaper, more convenient but doesn't have the spectacular views (though you still do have mountains all around you)...though you can always visit MG Hotel and hang out to enjoy the views...

If I can get a lakeside/balcony room, I prefer MG Hotel...if not, I prefer Swiftcurrent...

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

MG is fantasic, but also busy with tour busses and like OF, very noisy rooms.

I vote Swift

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

We will have 4 nights, arriving west glacier early afternoon on night 1, planning one night at Village inn. Then heading to east side for 3 nights. Any other ideas or opinions welcome. Will be Mid July 2014, traveling with kids 14, 12, 10. Will leave day 4 around noon or early afternoon. Will probably do short hikes 3-4 miles, love animals & pretty scenery.

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

With five in your family, I'm not sure about accommodations at Swiftcurrent.

Don't know if they have cabins/rooms that will sleep five. At Many Glacier you would have to get one of the family rooms and I don't think any of those are lakeside with balcony. You can still enjoy the public areas, of course you can do that even if you stay elsewhere. The deciding factor for you may be getting a room that will hold your family. Being in park at either will be a plus.

Edited: 18 February 2013, 18:35
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,176 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

google St. Mary. MT for other lodging options. That would ahve you 20 mi. from the trails of MG

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

at yellowstone, my son slept on an inflatable twin mattress, and is okay with doing that. He says thats better than sharing with his sister, hehe!

Chicago
Level Contributor
228 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

You'll get plenty of different opinions about Many Glacier. If I could do it over again, I would stay at Swiftcurrent and visit the lobby and public areas of Many Glacier to enjoy the ambiance and views of the lake. It is quite crowded in high season and the service suffers as a result. The main drawback is the noise -- it's truly remarkable how thin the walls are and how noisy it is at all hours. If any of you are light sleepers, you'll have problems.

Swiftcurrent is equally near the best hiking trails, if not slightly better. You don't get the lake views, but you have mountain scenery. The rangers offer animal spotting right from the parking area in the evenings. It's less expensive, and I actually preferred the food there to the options at Many Glacier. Just one man's opinion, and as mentioned, others are bound to disagree.

Charleston, South...
Level Contributor
324 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

I was having the same dilemma, so I ended up booking 2 nights at Swiftcurrent and 2 nights at MG (Lakeside w/ balcony) for our upcoming trip. :)

Oklahoma City...
Level Contributor
289 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

I just reserved 2 cabins w/ baths at swift current for 3 nights. Only family rooms at MG without balcony, so opted to save $65 a night & get cabins. And one night at the Village Inn. Now just have to wait 18 months & we can go! Thanks for your opinions! I am sure we will be back at GNP in the future, if it is as wonderful as everyone says it is! Hopefully then we can hike to Sperry Chalet!

10. Re: Swiftcurrent or Many Glacier?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 February 2014, 06:15
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park