We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

Italy
Level Contributor
600 posts
Save Topic
Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

Various accommodations that I have booked in and around Glacier NP do not have air conditioning. How hot/uncomfortable can it get in the evening in such lodgings in August? What is the average August temperature in that area?

Since part of my stay will be in Swiftcurrent cabins (both single and double room cabins), I wonder if they are equipped with fans and heating? In case of a double room cabin is there a fan in each room? Are these ceiling fans?

I have another question concerning preparing meals in Swiftcurrent.

I was told that cooking is possible only in a picnic area (half a mile away). But I would like to understand if there are electrical outlets there (I don’t mean the ones in the bathroom) or not. I would need to plug in my electric stove.

Thank you

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,126 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

I have never stayed at Swiftcurrent but am pretty sure there is no cooking allowed in any cabins/rooms.

Edited: 10 March 2013, 20:04
buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

There is a fan (don't know if a 2 room has 2) and there is heating...and there are electrical outlets...but cooking is prohibited...

The cabins are basic...but in the best part of the Park...which more than compensates...

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

It gets quite cool at night, you won't need AC. This is high country.

Heat is provided. The lodging website says that fans will be provided upon request.

Temperatures in the park can vary widely, and while the ambient temperature might be warm, especially in July and August, the mountain winds, which can be strong, can be quite cool. Dress in layers, you'll be fine.

I agree that, to my knowledge, no cooking is allowed in any lodging. You might check the lodging website for that and/or email them.

When you drive to Logan Pass, leave early so you can find parking space; it is quite limited there.

We've stayed in Swiftcurrent, basic, comfortable. We always have a cooler in the car for picnics, on the road snacks.

Editing: I agree with toddnick; a great area to start the hiking trails. Drive also into Two Medicine Lakes, gorgeous.

http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm

Edited: 11 March 2013, 00:19
st louis
Level Contributor
264 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

We stayed in room 2 in Swiftcurrent for four days the last week in August. We had a fan in the closest. I had requested one. We had a coffee pot in our room. You are not allowed to cook in the room. I think I only used the fan one night and turned it off in the middle of the night. Our two double bed room was clean and comfortable. The location to hiking trails is wonderful.Be sure and hike the short hike to Fishercamp Lake to look for moose. We saw them the first night. I always bring a cheap nightlite when I travel. The rooms can be dark in the middle of the night. Have a great trip. Glacier is beautiful.

5. Re: Trip to Glacier/Swiftcurrent cabins

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2014, 06:16