We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

West Jordan, Utah
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

In late July, my kids (11 & 8), my wife and I will be staying in a cabin at East Glacier.

We would like to go kayaking or maybe rent a rowboat.

I found the Glacier Park Boats website and it looks like they have kayaks and rowboats at Many Glacier and Two Medicine.

Which would be best if we want to see wildlife? Which would have the least wind?

Or should we go over to Lake McDonald or a lake not in the park?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

I have kayaked in both lakes. can't predict wind or wild life. lot's of tourists around Swift Current Lake so animals tend to stay away but I have seen grizzlies swimming in the lake and eating berries on the shore. Berries not ripe till mid Aug. though.

Edited: 01 April 2013, 02:44
Buffalo, New York...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

Both Two Medicine and Many Glacier are very scenic areas...

Two Medicine will be quieter...but I personally would choose Many Glacier area...lots of wildlife; I've seen moose in Swiftcurrent Lake several times...plus, I think that the MG area is the prettiest in the Park...

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,797 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

If your trying to avoid wind then don't go to Two Medicine. Swiftcurrent Lake is pretty small and can also get windy, actually all the lakes in GNP get very windy at times. Swiftcurrent Lake at sunrise and sunset is very spectacular not sure if you can rent the kayaks at that time of day. It would be a very long drive to go over to Lake McDonald to kayak, plus the shoreline was burned in 2003.

This is a late fall shot of Swiftcurrent Lake to give you an idea of views in Many Glacier.

www.glacierhikers.com/day-hikes-many.html

As gnp4me mentioned wildlife is a crap shoot in GNP but I have seen a grizzly enter the lake just a few feet away from the boat dock at the Many Glacier Hotel.

Started my biking season on the GTSR this past Saturday, snow plowing is scheduled to start today.

montana slow hiker

Edited: 01 April 2013, 15:39
4. Re: Best lake for kayaking/row boat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:17