We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

National parks

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Topic
National parks

We are planning a driving trip in October 2013 and want to know if it is necessary to book accommodation ahead of time? We are going to Glacier, Yellow Stone and Yosemite. Any help would be greatly appreciated because travel agents seem to have no idea!

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,965 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: National parks

I would recommend reservations. Be aware though that there will be no in park lodging at that time of year in Glacier. Most lodging as well as the road across the park close after the third week of Sept. Yellowstone has limited lodging choices that time of year also,

Edited: 01 April 2013, 00:56
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: National parks

If booking is necessary, how far ahead should we book?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: National parks

Hi Michelle

We are about to take our third driving trip to the western US national parks. Admittedly we have been there only in high summer on both occasions but YES if you want to stay in the parks booking is essential and you should book now.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: National parks

Thank you, which parks are you going to?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: National parks

if you want tone spontaneous or do not know where you will be well ahead of time you will not need reservations. That time of year it is not necessary at Yellowstone or Glacier. You will be able to find plenty of lodging in the towns surrounding type parks.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
12,446 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: National parks

This time we are going to Glacier, Yosemite, Mesa Verde, Arches, and Canyon lands and then Big Bend in Texas.

We have previously been to Yosemite, Yellowstone, Kings Canyon, Zion, Bryce Canyon and Grand Canyon – as well as most of the parks along the coast between Seattle and LA. . Plus the Canadian Rockies- Banff , Jasper Lake Louise etc. Its all gorgeous

Yes I KNOW if you want to wing it AND don’t want to stay in the parks then yes you wouldn’t need to book in October in the northern parks - BUT if as Michelle says she wants to stay in the parks then she should book now.

Coming from Australia most of us dont have the luxury of being sponataneous. We have come a loooooong way have limited time - may only pass that way once and want to see as much as possible in the time we have - so need to plan ahead.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: National parks

In my opinion the parks are much nicer earlier in the year. I would finish the trip by the middle of September if possible. It can get very cold in October - and you could be looking at snow

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: National parks

Thanks all for your responses. We are committed to an October holiday, but coming from the tropics are quite happy at the prospect of snow! Am I correct in assuming that staying just outside the parks I won't need to do any pre booking?

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,051 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: National parks

You will not need to pre book at the gateway towns of YNP and GNP. It is a slow time of the year. Lodging in those 2 parks closed. This will make it so you don't have to follow a specific itinerary. You will be able to stop any where and find assorted lodging. Never been to Yosemite so can't be of help there. Again, Michelle, you can not stay in those two parks durin Oct..ALL lodges closed

Edited: 01 April 2013, 07:51
Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
17 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: National parks

Thanks, your advise is appreciated. We were not looking forward to a locked in itinerary!