We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary questions

Clarkston, MI
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Topic
Itinerary questions

We are planning a trip to GNP in late July, flying in to Great Falls 1 pm on the 19th and leaving mid day from the same on the 27th. Have just booked St Mary Lodge (much to my dismay due to the rate but will keep calling every day to get into Many Glacier or something else more reasonable in that area of the park) for 5 nights. There are three remaining nights and we could do Waterton for one or two nights and/or Two Medicine area for one or two nights. We could also shorten our stay for St Mary area to 4 nights to accommodate more days in Waterton and/or Two Medicine areas. We are traveling with a 20 year old and and a 17 year old who have experienced hiking challenging hikes (Banff, Jasper, Yoho - Lake O'hara) last summer so we want to hit the best day hikes but would like to include a couple of other activities they might enjoy to break up the hiking a little bit. I could hike all day every day but my 17 year old daughter will revolt if we repeat last years vacation with no breaks! I am looking for suggestions on how long to stay in each area, activities other than day hikes (we do not hunt or fish). If anyone can suggest places to stay in the Many Glacier area that may not yet be booked, please do! Thanks for your ideas in advance.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary questions

One other option is West Glacier. Horseback, boating and river rafting are options, plus, you have access to Whitefish and Bigfork which are nice little escapes. Otherwise, both Waterton and Two Med. are very nice, but give you much of what you will laready have had, stunning scenery and lots of hiking.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary questions

I'm a big fan of the Two Medicine area hiking. In my opinion some of the best hikes are in Two Medicine: Dawson Pass, Scenic Point and Pitamakan Pass (although Pitamakan is a pretty long hike).

www.hikinginglacier.com/dawson-pass.htm

www.hikinginglacier.com/scenic-point.htm

www.hikinginglacier.com/pitamakan-pass.htm

Both Dawson Pass and Scenic Point are available in the ranger led hikes. Although the schedule hasn't come out for July yet, you'll be able to access it before your trip:

…nps.gov/glac/…ranger-led-activities.htm

There used to be horseback riding available through Glacier Gateway Trailrides - but they don't have a website, so I'm not sure they're still in business. Maybe someone else on the forum can speak to that.

You can also take canoe rides on Two Medicine Lake through Glacier Park Boat Co:

http://www.glacierparkboats.com/

As stated above, West Glacier has a lot more activities for teenagers who may not want to hike everyday.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary questions

one night is all you need for Waterton. my girls were about the same age and enjoyed the quirky little town. Deffinately consider Whitefish. Fun Main street. Zip lines and alpine slide at the ski area.

Clarkston, MI
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary questions

As I refine my itinerary taking into account your suggestions, I am still trying to figure out how to allocate the time. Please take a look and see whether based on your knowledge of the park whether you think this is a good allocation of time. Thanks!!

Day 1 arrive late afternoon to St Mary.

Day 2, 3 - explore St Mary/ Many Glacier areas of the park

Day 4 - Drive GTTSR making stops and possible hike(s) along the way and overnight in Whitefish

Day 5 - activities in Whitefish and return via GTTSR and drive to Waterton arriving late afternoon/evening

Day 6 - explore Waterton and overnight Waterton

Day 7 - Leave early to arrive in Two Medicine area for last day

OR on Day 6 leave Waterton arriving in Two Medicine area late afternoon/evening for two night stay

Day 8 - 1:30 pm flight home leaving from Great Falls airport

Clarkston, MI
Level Contributor
30 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary questions

Does going to Waterton in this itinerary result in too much time spent driving? We could spend days 2-5 in St Mary/Many Glacier area, then drive GTTSR and the one night stay in Whitefish and then spend nights 6,7,8 in East Glacier (if I can get accommodations) to explore two medicine.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary questions

I think you are okay. it's not like you have little kids And if you have two adult drivers you could each drive GTTSR one way so the other can enjoy the views. I think you can explore Two Med and East Glacier in one day. if you drive from Whitefish to Waterton and then down to East Glacier, that is one loooong day.

I suggest the boat ride on Waterton Lake with a hike from Goat Haunt to Kootenai Lakes where moose are often seen. take a later boat back. remember to take your passports with as you will need to clear customs to hike the trails which are back in the US. Take a drive to Cameron Lake-a gorgeous alpine lake surrounded by a cirque.

Marysville...
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary questions

The zip lines and other activities make Whitefish Resort one of our favorites!

8. Re: Itinerary questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2014, 05:19