We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

Hello,

My hubby and I will be coming to Glacier mid to late July this year. We'd really love to see the northern lights, and was wondering if anyone can suggest a good time, or area to view them at? Any info is appreciated.. Thanks!

Level Contributor
355 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

The northern lights (aurora borealias) occur a short time after particles from the sun reach earth. A very large and unpredictable explosion has to take place on the sun in order for this to happen. The size of the explosion has a great deal to do with how far south it is visible. 2013 is a good year for viewing as the cycle will peak this year.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

We would all love to see the Northern Lights in GNP but I have spent many nights vacationing and working in the park and have never seen them. You are more likely to see a grizzly than the Northen Lights

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

Here is an article on the Northern Lights northernlightscentre.ca/northernlights.html. You are most likely to see the northern lights where there is very little light polution. I live on the praries of Alberta - and we frequently see the Northern Ligjts in the winter sky to the north, but rarely during the summer. The prairies are flat and there is nothing to block our view - so we can see across the land for many miles. I have never seen the Northern Lights in the mountains. Ii'm NOT saying it can't happen - but it isn't as likely as seeing them across a flat expanse of land with ice particles in the air.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

I'm sorry - that last link didn't work. Here is the link I was trying to embed in my comments northernlightscentre.ca/northernlights.html

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,105 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

Backcountry campsite or mabe Logan pass, but luck of the sraw to be there, be awake, and see them on the few occurances they appear. I have never seen them in my 30 plus years there.

Of course, you could just go to Polebridge and see the Northern Lights...................Saloon

Houston, Texas
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park
Level Contributor
4,058 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

In the summer you need to go much much closer to the Arctic Circle. Northern Alaska or Northwest Territories would be more realistic.

PA
Level Contributor
85 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

Thanks for all your responses, sounds like my chances are pretty slim. But you never know, thanks for the suggestion k2kelley! I'll at least see those northern lights!

London, United...
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

I would also consider Iceland to see the northern lights. I went there last winter in December and it was amazing - you can do it on boat, in a jeep tour etc. Here is a great list for the best places to see the lights in Iceland northernlightsiceland.com/best-place-to-see-…

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,427 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

>>In the summer you need to go much much closer to the Arctic Circle. Northern Alaska or Northwest Territories would be more realistic.

Unfortunately this is not true. The further north you go in the summer, the more light there is throughout the night, so it never gets light enough to see the Northern Lights in Alaska in the summer. Best time in Alaska is September to March.

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Place to See the Northern Lights??

July is not the time to go Northern lights hunting. Sept - March is the time you want to choose. Personally I went to Iceland to see the Northern lights and they were amazing. I can agree with Veronika that http://www.northernlightsiceland.com/ is a good site with NL forecast etc.