We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Highline Hike and kids

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Highline Hike and kids

Hello, we are headed to GNP in the summer of 2014. My family and I love to hike. I was wondering if anyone had every taken kids on the highline? I understand there are a few signifiact drops just feet away. My son has hiked Mt Washburn in Yellowstone at age 8 and a 8 mile round trip hike in the Tetons. He will be 10 when we head up there. So, anyone ever take small children on the highline? Thanks for any insight.

Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Highline Hike and kids

there is really only one area of exposure, right at the beginning. There is a safety cable attached for those uncomfortable that greatly eases the situation. Rest of the hike is on a standard hiking trail, with virtually now drop off areas. The hike. logan to the loop, is 11.5 miles.

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,618 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Agree with k2...I see kids there all the time...the "exposed" section is about 1/4 mile from trailhead, so you'll know whether they are comfortable right off the bat...it lasts for a few hundred yards...

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Appreciate the info. I don't want to miss this hike and from your comments I won't. We have no problem covering the 11 miles. Thanks!!!

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
817 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Take a lot of water. It is a long day. You can buy snacks at the Lodge, but there is nothing worse than running out of water on a hot day. I'd start at Logan Pass and work my way down.

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Will bring plenty of H2O! I was thinking Logan Pass to the loop would be the best, I hear its the easier way to go. Thanks!

Kalispell, MT
Level Contributor
44 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Yes, Logan Pass to the Loop is the mostly downhill route. Very pretty!

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Unless you have two cars, get to The Loop very early to catch the shuttle to Logan Pass. We got there in time for the first pick-up but had to wait for several shuttles since they were full by the time they reached us. Don't hesitate to break up your group to get on the shuttle since they may only be 1-2 seats available when it reaches you. We had to do that and the last person in our party arrived about 10 minutes after we did at Logan Pass. You will love the Highline Trail!

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Highline Hike and kids

We were thinking of taking the shuttle from St Mary. We are camping at St Mary campground and thought we would walk from our site to the Visitor Ctr. Would rather not drive if we don't have to . Would driving up to the Loop be better than that? Thanks!

Level Contributor
366 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Highline Hike and kids

I prefer starting the hike at Logans Pass and taking the shuttle back. You can do much of the hike in the shade if you start your hike at first light rather than taking the shuttle.. Plenty of parking at 6 am at Logans pass.This gives you solitude that you won't have otherwise.. Also water is for sale at Granite park chalet. You can also get water for filtering/treating in the stream at the campground just below the chalet. Hiking sticks can help the knees on the loop trail going from the chalet to the loop, it's a steep downhill slog!

Indian Harbour...
Level Contributor
337 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Highline Hike and kids

Didn't account for that. I would like to get there early. We'll just park at Logan's Pass and then take the shuttle back. Thanks Early hiker!!!