We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Trying to decide between the Many Glacier or St. Mary boat tour. Any opinions as to which is the best? We are a couple in our mid-50's and wouldn't mind doing one of the short optional hikes but don't have time in our schedule for any of the long optional hikes. Also, how far in advance do we need to book? Do these sell out quickly?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

I'd recommend doing the Many Glacier boat trip (which actually is two boat trips with a very short hike in between) and then doing the easy hike after the second boat to Grinnell Lake...you have a better chance to see wildlife on the Many Glacier boat...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

If I may also ask about booking in advance. We are there in early September (after Labour Day) for three nights so I am guessing we can book the boat tour when we arrive?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Yes, you should be able to pick up tickets when you arrive that late in the season...

Watford
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
42,960 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Thanks.

Whitefish, Montana
Level Contributor
1,071 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

YES_ book early and always take cash as well. Some boats take credit cards ,but one of them only takes cash.

Does anyone remember this? Many is the best boat trip. Love it!

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Thanks so much for the information. The Many Glacier trip will actually fit a little better into our tight itinerary since we will be staying at the Many Glacier hotel one night. We are going to be visiting in mid-July. The trail to Grinnell Lake should be open then, right?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Yes, Grinnell Lake will be open (barring any bear issues); the trail up to the Glacier is the part that might be closed for snow....

Edited: 22 May 2013, 15:39
Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
7 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

What is the hike like between the boats? Is it very strenuous? I think I read somewhere it was steep?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,116 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

It's short, Jan, but admittedly some people might consider it steep.

I loved all four of the boat rides I took (Two Medicine, the double Many Glacier rides, St. Mary and the ride to Goat Haunt in Glacier's Canadian sister park Waterton Lakes) and would find it hard to choose one over the other. All offer beautiful Rocky Mountain scenery. If you chose the double ride to walk to Grinnell Lake, you might want to go on one of the Ranger-led hikes as Many Glacier is Grizzly territory. You Might prefer St. Mary's if you're a waterfall fan or want to get a closer look at Wild Goose Island though.

Mentioned in this post
Goat Haunt
Goat Haunt
2 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
buffalo
Level Contributor
1,628 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Which boat tour-Many Glacier or St. Mary?

Is it uphill then downhill between the two boats, some might call it steep...but it is only a little more than 1/4 mile...