We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

GNP for Non-Hikers?

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
GNP for Non-Hikers?

My husband and I are not hikers and don't plan to do any other than short, easy hikes. I'm most interested in taking in the beautiful scenery (I'm guessing there will be no shortage of this) and wildlife. Photography is a hobby so i will be looking for great locations.

For non-serious hikers, aside from the GTTSR (which we plan to do), what else would you recommend?

indiana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
3,050 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

Take a boat trip, I think St. Mary Lake is the most scenic. Also a boat trip at Many Glacier will then give you access to a mile walk to Grinnell Lake. It will be level walking. There is a short uphill walk between the two lakes to catch the second boat. Go back Swiftcurrent trail to Fishercap Lake, about 1.5 miles RT for possible moose sightings in the mornings or afternoon. Sunrise at Many Glacier is great for photos as is Wlld Goose Island along GTTSR.

California
Level Contributor
24 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

Thank you! I was looking at some of the boat rides, but was curious as to which would be best. Also looking at some float trips and maybe horseback riding.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

Lake McDonald at sunset can be stunning, as seen from the Apgar area.

Glacier Raft Company or Montana Raft Company for float trips, based out of West Glacier.

Tour the historic hotels and enjoy some huckleberry ice cream!

You can't go wrong with Glacier, even if you're not into hiking.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

When you are in the Lake McDonald area, take the Trail of the Cedars. It is close to Lake Mc Donald Lodge. It's a lovely, short hike in the cedar forest - nice and cool on a hot day. The trail runs along a stream and has a level board walk on the one side that is accessible by wheelchairs. The trail will take you up to a waterfall - and if you want to come back on the other side of the stream, although it isn't boardwalk, it is a very easy, level path. Lake

McDonald Lodge is a beautiful old lodge , with a nice dining room, and chairs in the back where you can sit and enjoy the view. Many Glacier Lodge is also beautiful, nice dining room with a lovely view of the lake, and chairs to sit on and enjoy the view.

GTSR is beautiful with many pullouts where you can get out and enjoy the view and photo ops. We often see mountain goats just off the first parking area down from the summit. The last three years we've seen many bear on the road up to Many Glacier - great photo op - just take reasonable caution.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,709 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

Horse back ride info here

www.swanmountainoutfitters.com/glacier/…

boat ride info here http://www.glacierparkboats.com/

There are numerous small pullouts along the GTSR most of them have great views. Two of them I am still trying to figure out why they are there as there is no trail head or view.

If you plan on stopping at Logan Pass then plan on getting there before 10 AM.

www.glacierhikers.com lots of photos of GNP.

montana slow hiker

Edited: 30 June 2013, 17:28
6. Re: GNP for Non-Hikers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2014, 05:18