We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

Hi all

We leave in a few weeks. Two families with 5 kids ages 6.5-11. We are visiting Yellowstone first then driving up to Glacier, staying July 1st at the Fairmont hot springs for one night on our way. We plan to leave early morning on the 2nd so we can get up GNp around lunch. We are staying 2 nights at Apgar village inn, checking out on July 4th. On the 4th, we plan to drive the GTTSR and leave on the east side of the park. So we have the afternoon of the 2nd and all day on the 3rd to plan. Plus on the 4th we aren't in a rush. We do not yet have accommodations for July 4th. We may camp or find a hotel east as we make our long drive back to Chicago!

I have looked at whitewater rafting but 2 of the youngest don't seem to be old enough. I think they would like ranger hikes or a boat trip. Not sure when or if we can go to Many glacier area.

I am looking for some ideas for our group, perhaps even stopping in Whitefish on the 2nd and doing the alpine slide or activities on the mountain. Also, any ideas on fireworks anywhere to stay on the 4th! Great falls has availability if we wanted to me it down there. Is there anything worth seeing at the Blackfoot indian reservation? We may take highway 2 across and into North Dakota, but I have no idea where we would stay on the 4th. Help! Thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Apgar Village Lodge
Apgar Village Lodge
375 Reviews
Glacier National Park, MT
Chicago
Chicago
Illinois
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Woodbury, Minnesota
Level Contributor
420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

While on the west side I would stick with the ranger led hikes and some of your own exploring rather than driving to Whitefish. doing the Trail of the Cedars/Avalanche Lake hike alone can take 1/2 day on the July 2. On July 3 go to Logans Pass and do Hidden Lake and or Highline Trail, depending on what is open. On July 4 I would drive GTTS as you mentioned as stop at the many overlooks and hike to Virginia/St Mary Falls. If you have time I would drive to Many Glacier to at least look around. The closest fireworks I can find is in Choteau which is about 1.5 hours from St Mary on your way to Great falls. I would avoid taking Hwy 2 in ND as I have heard it is a bit crowded and chaotic (lack of lodging and restaurant options) due to the oil boom.

Mentioned in this post
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
Trail of the Cedars
Trail of the Cedars
384 Reviews
Avalanche Lake
Avalanche Lake
616 Reviews
Hidden Lake
Hidden Lake
554 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Highline Trail
Highline Trail
406 Reviews
montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

I second Smitty's idea of going to Choteau for July 4th fireworks. There is one very good hotel in Choteau (Stage Stop Inn) and a couple of restaurants. It's true small-town Montana. There will be no fireworks in GNP. Browning will be on fire with fireworks, but I don't recommend an overnight there. Browning is a cultural center for Native American Indians, and has an excellent Plains of the Indian Museum (a quick visit if it's open on the holiday.)

Beware of the Bakken Oil Fields -- it's a wild, wild west scene centering in Williston, ND, and stretching out for hundreds of miles. Hotel rooms, restaurants, everything is at a premium, and it is no longer a family-friendly area. Get through it as quickly as you can and don't plan any overnights in that region. (google it for more info).

Mentioned in this post
Stage Stop Inn
Stage Stop Inn
209 Reviews
Choteau, MT
Montana
Montana
United States
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

Thank you so much for responding. Good info on hwy 2 to ND, I had no idea. Looks like we will then take hwy 87 through MT then 94 across ND, through Bismarck. Appreciate the info and I will look into Choteau for fireworks.

Mentioned in this post
Bismarck
Bismarck
North Dakota
Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
332 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

I agree with everything SmittyMN said regarding the trails to check out. Glacier Raft Company looks like they have trips for as young as 5 as long as its in the summer and not spring. You can always call them. Sometimes it may have more to do with weight than age. Rafting was my kids favorite thing we did when we last went to GNP. I haven't done it yet, but there is an alpine slide in Whitefish that we are planning to do on our next trip: http://skiwhitefish.com/alpine_slide.php We went on one in CO, and my son had a blast.

Mentioned in this post
Glacier Raft Company
Glacier Raft Company
2,341 Reviews
West Glacier, MT
Whitefish
Whitefish
Montana
5. Re: Have a few days only with kids, need help with activities pl

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 June 2014, 06:16