We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Trying to decide on end of trip itinerary. Will be at East Glacier 1 Day, Many Glacier 3 Days, Banff 3 Days, Jasper 2 Nights. After Jasper back to Banff 1 night. Next I have to choose either Waterton for one night or back to stay in East Glacier for North American Indian Days for 1 day. It would be the 3rd day of the Pow Wow. Our very last night will be in Kalispell for the flight out the next day.

I am thinking that after all the gorgeous scenery and mountains the Indian Days Pow Wow might be something different for the end of the trip instead of Waterton? I have been to the Cherokee Pow Wow before, but not this one. Reservations are not a problem. Now with a critical road open again, I can choose either place. Has anyone been to the Pow Wow and can comment on it?

Thanks.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Much of Alberta was seriously flooded on June 20th. The main highway to Banff was washed out - so expect road construction. I don't know when your trip is - or how your plans will be affected by the damage. Banff's TripAdvisor forum posted some excellent links if you want information on the state of the area. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k6609…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Yes, I am following it all very closely! Do you have input about Indian Days or Waterton? Thanks!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

I have never been to Indian Days - so I can't give you any information about it. Waterton is a lovely little townsite with nice accommodations. After seeing GNP, Banff and Jasper - I'm not sure it will have a real wow factor for you. You've got a lot of driving in your itinerary - GNP or the Banff/Jasper would each be a trip in themselves. You might want to put that extra day into GNP or Jasper - they are both stunning destinations. Banff is a very developed mountain townsite - great for shopping - but for the other areas are better for enjoying nature.

western WA
Level Contributor
8,997 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

The pow wow is a real one, if you're talking about the one in Browning, and not just for tourists. So don't expect sanitized glam, but real people competing at dances, and wearing their traditional costumes as they've evolved over time. I would pick that over Waterton, but that's me. The Prince of Wales hotel is magnificent if you decide to go that way.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

I am leaning toward the Pow Wow. I would be staying in East Glacier if we went to see it. I think the Pow Wow I saw in Cherokee was the real kind, with dances and native costumes too. Enjoyable to watch.

It is a lot of driving, but that is how we vacation. "To each his own." I have purposefully built in stopping in places at least for a night, like coming back down from Jasper, staying in Banff again to reduce the length of driving each day. I am planning on visiting the lakes while in Banff so I can see more than just the commercial side of it.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Do the pow-wow. The memory of that will stick with you as something distinct. Waterton is absolutely wonderful, but you will have immersed yourself in that beauty for your whole trip. The pow wow in Browning will leave an impression that will stay with you. It is not fancy (pit toilets, dusty, hot) but to be a visitor amidst the amazing beauty of Indian people's culture is something not to miss.

Enjoy!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Thanks for your help and opinion on this. I am going to decide within a couple days. Still leaning toward the Pow Wow. I should add that it has been said that we have Blackfeet Indian in our background. Nobody has traced it, but it was what my grandmother said.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

Your grandmother was most likely not making this up about your family heritage. In her day, having Indian blood was not often bragged about. While Browning is a Blackfeet Rez, there will be many tribes represented there. Browning also has a wonderful (but small) Plains Indians Museum.

J-W
Illinois
Level Contributor
1,233 posts
1,052 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

We will be going to North American Indian's July 11. - July 15. Does anyone know what time to Grand Entry is supposed to be. Don't want to miss it.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: North American Indian Days or Waterton at end of trip

The local "101 Things To Do in the Flathead" annual booklet does not list the Grand Entry start time, but does give this phone number to get more info: 406-338-7406.

Enjoy!