We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grocery store?

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Grocery store?

Flying into Kalispell and want to get a cooler to stock with food to eat on the trip. Will be headed to Banff and Jasper in Canada after 3 days and will take the cooler with us. Where is a good close place to stock up?

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grocery store?

Super One in Columbia Falls on the right after coming up the hill. I think it is open 24 / 7

montana slow hiker

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Grocery store?

Thanks. I forgot to say that we are first going to Many Glacier for 3 days, but we want to stock up before we go. Is there a place in Many Glacier to restock? Maybe I should ask in another thread but I read briefly somewhere that Canada does not let you bring certain meats in. Does that include lunchmeat?

buffalo
Level Contributor
1,506 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Grocery store?

In terms of actual grocery stores (as opposed to more convenience type stores); the closest to Many Glacier is in Browning (almost exactly an hour away)...

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Grocery store?

Thanks. Should have mentioned that we will be heading to Banff next so I think we will look at getting enough to begin with so we can restock in Banff. That way we can keep heading in the right direction. We can always pick up and extra pack of lunchmeat at a convenience store if we run out before heading to Banff. That way we will have lunch food along the way.

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,704 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grocery store?

There is a small camp store in Many Glacier with very, very limited selection. St Mary's camp store is and larger but should be able to handle what you are talking about. Prices are higher and selection is less then Browning. It is located behind the gas station, actually both gas stations have small camp stores.

You might want to contact Banff regarding conditions there. The storm damage to Iceberg Lake Trail was trivial too what I've heard happened in Banff. I spoke with someone who had a relative thats house was destroyed in the flooding.

montana slow hiker

Edited: 28 June 2013, 15:27
West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grocery store?

We will get supplies in Kalispell. The conditions for where we are going look good. The grocery stores are all stocked in Banff. I have been on those forums a lot lately. We are more sightseers than hikers, so trail closings will not be a problem. Since you are answering my posts, can you comment on my post about the Indian Days vs Waterton? I don't have any responses to that. Thanks for your help!

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
2,244 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Grocery store?

When you leave the United States - which border crossing will you be using? If you go through Cardston, they have a nice grocery store (if you want to stop there, you might want to stop and ask for directions - you can't see it from Main Street). If you plan on stopping in Waterton, they have a small but expensive grocery store. Banff townsite is well developed - and you can buy anything you want there.

When are you taking your trip? Alberta just had terrible flooding (June 20) - the worst they have ever had. The main highway to Banff washed out, and some of the small towns are still evacuated. Be prepared for road construction. If you want information on the state of the area, the Banff TripAdvisor forum posted information and links to provide you with the conditions - great resource. tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g154911-i221-k6609…

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grocery store?

We are going from Many Glacier to Banff so ... I think Chief Mtn. will be the crossing. It seems like the closest. I have following the forums intently and they are making great strides on the roads. It looks good! I hope to take the scenic Hwy 22 but have alternatives in mind if need be. We will be in Kalispell on the 3rd, Many Glacier on the 4th and traveling to Banff by crossing the border on the 7th of July. That gives them time for more road work. Thanks for more possibilities.

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grocery store?

RE: border crossing and food -- we've been asked about what kinds of produce we are bringing in and out, as well as what kinds of meat. It seems to vary as to what specific kinds of produce they will confiscate. Probably could find a website from the government that might be specific. Or, just be safe and don't buy huge amounts of produce just in case.

FYI, if you arrive at FCA and head straight towards GNP, your best bet for a large supermarket is in Columbia Falls, at the Super One, as MTSlowHiker suggested. If you go into Kalispell, you'll be back-tracking. The Super One will have coolers and everything else you'd need, and you'll be driving right past it.

You're going to have a great trip!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grocery store?

Thanks. We will be going from the airport in Kalispell to East Glacier for one night. Sorry I keep calling where we are staying the first night Kalispell when it is actually East Glacier. When we wake up in East Glacier on the 4th of July we will head to GTTSR that morning. We will end up the 4th at Many Glacier for 3 nights, then on to Banff and Jasper. Is Super 1 still the best place to get supplies. I am very excited about the trip!!!