We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cell phones in GNP

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Cell phones in GNP

Cell phones in GNP are generally worthless. I discovered yesterday that Verizon (not AT&T) works when you are about 3/4 of the way to Granite Park Chalet. It also works on the Garden Wall Trail and at the Swiftcurrent Lookout. No phones work in Many Glacier or Two Medicine but Verizon does work just before the entrance station at Two Medicine. Before AT&T gobbled up the company that I had been with for 20 years my phone would at least work in St Mary. After AT&T it no longer worked there and had a much smaller footprint in the West Glacier area.

Both AT&T and Verizon work on the Apgar Lookout Trail.

A SPOT works almost everywhere but many Rangers are fed up with them due to the number of frivolous calls that they get.

montana slow hiker

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
626 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cell phones in GNP

Thanks Slowhiker, that is good to know. I have a Verizon but never tried it on a trail as I just assumed it wouldn't work! I did get my phone to work once around the Duck Lake area, but it was very spotty. It does work great in town at East Glacier Park.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cell phones in GNP

Since my husband needs to be connected, he makes the drive to the last pullout on the Many Glacier road before Baab. Always get service there with Verizon. When I worked at Glacier Park Lodge in East, I always got service and usually get it in Apgar too.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 21:19
Spokane, Washington
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park, Spokane
Level Contributor
3,218 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cell phones in GNP

I go to glacier to get away from my phone.....................just say'n

Whitefish, Montana
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
1,795 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cell phones in GNP

K2 my ringer is off but I called to let my kids know that I was hiking to the Garden Wall instead of Swiftcurrent Lookout

montana slow hiker

USA
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cell phones in GNP

I got no signal with AT&T inside the park, or in St. Mary. I did have a signal for a little while between St. Mary and Two Medicine, and in East Glacier.

Sure, I felt bad for "wasting time" on my phone using wi-fi in the hotel lobbies, but I was travelling alone, and my family appreciated the updates that I was doing well. Sometimes when you're alone, it's nice to have a connection back to the people who care about you... In the 'olden days' I would have spent my time writing letters and postcards to friends, so I don't really see it as a bad thing.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,054 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cell phones in GNP

K2kelly- we own a small business which my husband is reluctant to leave. And we have elderly parents we need to check up on. I'm just thrilled when he accompanies me no matter that he takes the drive now and then to the pullout to answer emails or make phone calls. Just sayin :-)

Smithtown, New...
Level Contributor
220 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cell phones in GNP

Was in Glacier beginning of July for 4 days. Have to leave Many Glacier area to get reception around St. Mary's (not as much on GTTS road as outside it, by the Park Cafe (great breakfast, dinners, and pies) and general store/gas station. Had no reception on GTTS road or Lake McDonald, but did at the visitor center just west of it. Check out our trip report, we are starting Glacier reports tonight/tomorrow, finishing up YNP.

http://1quest2thenext.wordpress.com/

8. Re: Cell phones in GNP

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2014, 06:19
Get answers to your questions about Glacier National Park