We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

We love Glacier National Park. This is our 6th visit. Typically we spend our days hiking the moderate to strenuous trails. However, this year my husband has injured his knee. Although it is improving we would like some back up plans. Here are my three questions:

1. Are there any recommended day trips? We have visited the following during past visits: Kalispell, Columbia Falls, Polebridge, Whitefish, Polson (found it a bit touristy), Eureka (nothing special) and Waterton Lakes National Park.

2. We will be arriving the afternoon of Friday, July 19th and leaving the afternoon of Friday, July 26th. If we buy a week long park pass on Friday, July 19th (which we like to do), it expires on Thursday evening - July 25th. Is there any way we can go into the park the morning of July 26th without buying another pass?

3. Any other (perhaps new) restaurants we should try. We will be staying 4 nights in West Glacier and 3 nights at the Many Glacier Hotel. In the past we have ate at the Belton (our favorite - in the pub or on the deck), Back Room for ribs, Three Forks Grill and the Cattle Barron Supper Club (pluses and minuses), Two Sisters (so-so) and the Park Cafe.

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Mahtomedi, Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Glacier National Park
Level Contributor
2,052 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

1.Browning has a great Indian Museum. I think a drive to the Yak would be fun. have you been to Big Fork? How about East Glacier and Two Med. Glacier Park Lodge has the coolest lobby.

2. I suppose you can drive in before the entrance stations open but I would feel guilty.

3. I have never eaten at Johnsons in St Mary but heard that is good. My fav is Park Cafe for it's diverse menu and the wonderful pie with hand rolled crusts. Nice owners.

Louisville, Kentucky
Level Contributor
611 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

If you do visit Two Medicine, go into East Glacier and eat at Serrano's Mexican Restaurant. They are only open for dinner and if you don't get there when the doors open at 5pm, you'll have to wait, but it's definitely worth it!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

Oops. I forgot to mention that we have been to Two Medicine area (one of our favorites). In fact, we stayed there last year enjoying meals at both Serrano's and the Two Medicine Grill.

I will check into Bigfork. Anything I shouldn't miss?

montana
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

A daytrip to Bigfork could be fun. You can walk the Swan River Nature Trail, it's 2 miles long, mostly level, for a nice easy 4 mile walk. One end originates a couple of blocks uphill from the Bigfork Inn.

Several great restaurants in Bigfork -- Showthyme and Mosaic (avoid Swan River Café -- they've been getting low marks from health inspectors.) Lots of galleries and shops to explore.

The end of July marks the beginning of cherry season, so the entire Flathead Lake area comes alive with the cherry harvest. Drive down to Yellow Bay State Park for an excellent picnic spot plus one of the nicest places to swim on the lake.

Have fun, even without the strenuous hikes!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

Thanks for the info on Bigfork. Sounds like some good ideas for a full day.

USA
Level Contributor
2,173 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

Glacier annual pass is $35. That would save you $15 over paying 2 entrance fees.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
255 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. That is a great answer to our problem.

8. Re: 6th Visit But Still Have Three Questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 July 2014, 06:19